Saturday, April 6, 2013

Upgrade from Meander

Finally...............  
This is the most quilting I've done on a quilt.  It's been on my machine for a month.  Remember, I also work f/t, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
 A few years ago, this might have been considered show quilting.  Not anymore.  If it's not quilted within a 1/4" of each seam, then there's not enough quilting.  I've also been reading that the standard for show quilts now is two layers of batting.
 I don't quilt for show, but I am very pleased at how this one turned out.  It's a bit of an upgrade from the meander pantograph that was picked out. I'm assuming a wash will remove the stitch marks from the previous quilting.
 There is a lot of ruler work that isn't noticed like the feathers, but that is the basis of this quilt.  I want my customers to get their quilt back and think it looks better than they thought it could. 
I want the piecing to sing, it's their quilt, not mine.  When you look at this, you are not overwhelmed by the quilting, this is all about the piecing.
 There's a lot of thread on this baby.
 I used Hobbs Wool for a batt, So Fine for thread. Quilt is 88 x 88 with round corners.
I'll be hand delivering this to the owner next Friday.  I am excited about that because I rarely get to see their reaction to my work.  I put it in a box, ship it off and hope for the best!

Now I want a quilt of my own quilted like this.  Mine all seem to have edge to edge designs, as I tend to "squeeze" mine in between customers tops.  I do have a log cabin that I want to feather so it languishes in a box under the machine.

Have a great weekend
Sharon

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!

msstitcher1948@yahoo.com

Louise said...

Absolutely stunning, Sharon. Love everything about this quilt! What a talent you are.

Nancy said...

Very nice Sharon. You do great work.
I am going to send my machine over for a lesson.

Janet O. said...

I think you have done a beautiful job of quilting without outshining the lovely piecing. Nice work, Sharon. It is gorgeous now--like this quilt deserved to be. : )

Linda C said...

Beautiful! Now l wish you didn't live so far away!!

regan said...

So gorgeous! And yes, get that log cabin out and do something wonderful on it! You deserve it! :o)

Lori said...

It's lovely Sharon. I'm sure she will flip over it!!

Mimi said...

Wow! I think you did a beautiful job.

Nifty Quilts said...

Wow! This is some really gorgeous quilting. I'll have to have you do one of mine someday. You are very talented!

Barb said...

the quilting is stunning and looks like a lot to me in a good way. The feathers are wonderful.

liz said...

I think the quilting is amazing. Personally I like a lot of quilting, whether it is by hand or machine. Always surprised by complaints of too much quilting. You've done a first rate job and you should be very proud of it.

Candace said...

Wonderfully stunning, Sharon! I think this would totally qualify for a show quilt! The quilt maker is going to squeal with delight when she sees it!
Cheers!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

It looks so beautiful! Wonderful job! It is overwhelming to me to decide what to put into each shape. You did well with these decisions on this quilt! Lovely!