Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Out of the Box

The days just seem to fly by right now.  My gal pal and I headed out for a few days of sewing,  and I made some great headway on projects that had been hibernating in boxes for the past while.

First thing was to spread out over as many tables as possible, and then get busy.


JT2 was the first project on my list.  I had put it away while the patterns were still being published, so I truly had no idea what mess I had going on.

For some reason I made 2 feathered star blocks and I just happened to need a big block for the top right corner.  Done!  I did prep 4 appliqued blocks and got several other ones finished. They didn't make it into the photo.

After putting all my blocks up on the wall, I decided to tackle the 12 1/2" goose in the pond block that was foundation paper pieced.  2+ hours later (and a lot of cursing), I had it finished.  No, not the top, but that ONE block.  After a few more blocks I moved on to another project.  I spent some time the next day organizing and excluding the appliqued blocks, I have 12 or 13 more blocks to piece and I will have the top together.  After that, I got busy with some secret sewing, so no pictures.  I had all the parts ready to go and got that top completed.

M, on the other hand, got a lot more done than me.  Her JT2 is scrappy reds and whites, and she has many more blocks finished.


While she worked on the JT2, she also started putting together this top.


She still has a few blocks left over to go into another quilt.............

And a few strips pre cut for a few more blocks. I see a few more green quilts in her future!
She also got another top put together, but for reasons unknown to me, I have no pictures.  We truly just sewed all day and into the night.  It was 11:30 the first night when we called it quits.  Non quilter's must think we are crazy, but I'm sure you can all relate!

Hope you got in a few stitches on the weekend!
Sharon

10 comments:

Kyle said...

Gal pals can help you work through anything and keep you sewing way beyond a reasonable time. Love how your JT2 quilt is coming along for both of you.

Louise said...

So glad you got pictures Sharon. When you first told me about this "power" stitching session I was truly impressed
but not surprised! You continue to inspire me.

Pat said...

Your JT2 looks wonderful and does your sewing sister's. Agree - anytime spent sewing with another quilter is always a motivator - My once a year 4 day retreat with long time friends is always the most productive.

Janet O. said...

Whatever the reason was for making the two, your feathered stars fit in nicely and give a pleasant balance to the quilt.
Sewing all day sounds like a dream come true! : )

Nifty Quilts said...

Looks like a fun "Get er done" weekend. Love your red and white. I think I remember you working on that at Gwen's workshop a few years ago. Impossibly small pieces!

Louise said...

You know what Sharon, you can never have enough feathered stars! They are wonderful.

Mimi said...

Wow....makes me want to go on another mini retreat with my friends. You got a lot of beautiful stuff accomplished. Good for you. Can't wait to see some more.

Karen said...

The Just Take Two quilt in red & white is still on my list of quilts to make. Nice seeing yours in the works.

Nancy said...

Isn’t it nice to have someone to sew with.
I only finished the first quarter of my JT2 quilt and put it away. I need to get it out and work on it some more.

Lori said...

It is so much more fun to sew with a friend!