Friday, May 22, 2015

Work Shop with Humble Quilts

Our local guild had the pleasure of Lori DeJ from Humble Quilts come spend the day for a workshop and a trunk show, Quilts thru the Seasons.  A lot of cutting for this project, but since I had lots of little blocks in a basket, it wasn't too much to get ready. 


I focused on the 16 patch fabrics, made a few blocks at home and then grabbed the cheddar for the corners and the blue for the zigzag.  Someone I didn't read the requirements, just grabbed what I thought looked good.  Then I ran out of blue.


True to her name, Lori just came over and started sewing the blue scraps that were left over and voilĂ , I had enough fabric for the last pieces that I needed. 


I used up all the extra strips I had from an earlier project and some of these little 1" finished squares are 'humble' blocks, funny, I just realized that I have 2 the same in the above and below block.  Must have been a strip left over and I got 2 blocks out of it! Plus I dug through Laurie, Linda, and Jane's piles of squares to add a bit more interest.  They had lots of prints I didn't have. ;-)


The center was made by making four patches and then using 4 - 4 patches to make the 16 patch.  Working this way gave me such pleasure as I could spin the seams on all the intersections and have really neat and flat blocks. I love when this happens!


Due to Lee at Two Thimbles finding the shops last remaining FQ's of this blue, I was able to added an extra row and I oriented the quilt so the zigzag is running across rather than up and down.  Now it's in the "hand quilting" pile.  However, I've seen a finished one already and I'm thinking a little machine stitching might just be the ticket to get this done.  Btw, I see a red/white/green one in my future, hopefully it will be done in time for Christmas.

Thanks Lori, for an excellent day of sewing and an evening filled with amazing quilts.  I was the quilt holder,  sorry, no pictures to share of the lecture.  If Lori is in your next of the woods, get your guild to book her, we had excellent feedback from her lecture. 

Hope you get some stitching in over this Memorial Day weekend,
Sharon

9 comments:

Karen said...

Lucky you to have Lori there in person! And I love the quilt you made. The blue works so well. I like the back of the 16 patch blocks. Everything lays so well. I will have to try that. I have a bunch of 1 1/2 inch squares. You might want some.

Janet O. said...

I am loving this quilt with the scrappy centers and blue and cheddar setting.
Can't wait to see your Christmas colored interpretation.

Lori said...

It turned out so cute! Thank you for your kind words:)

Mimi said...

I love it! Lucky you to have Lori at your guild, too.

Linda O said...

Your little quilt looks great! Was so great to get to meet you! Thanks again for letting me join in the fun!

Nancy said...

Love this little one, especially the cheddar.

Brandie said...

Oooo, what an excellent idea for a Christmas quilt!
I love that you got excited about your seams! Lol
Lori sure is sweet, I'm betting you all had a great time with her!

helen said...

This is a great idea to use my blocks!!
Hope you don't mind if I copy?!??
The quilt is beautiful and I LOVE this blue fabric!
What is it please??
Best wishes!

Sharon said...

This came out great! I love it! And I really like that blue you used - it plays so beautifully with the cheddar! Just curious - how big did it turn out? Love those make-do bits. It must have been fun to have a workshop with Lori!