Saturday, June 6, 2015

Not so Simple WhatNots

Oh, what a slippery slope I am sliding down.  I have to start this with a caveat, I am not a "miniature" quilter.  2 1/2" half square triangles are plenty small for me, but 1" finished?  Oh my!

My piecing and cutting and pressing has been pushed and I have to say, I think because of the Simple What Not's I've become a better quilter.  But honestly, did I have to make this many blocks to get to this point? 


These sashing pieces use 1 1/4" brown squares to make the little triangles on the end of each strip, then the strip is sewn together to make the next round on a 9 patch.  But the 9 patch in 3 1/2 " sq and that's tiny! 


I've got my 9 patches all made for the 16 blocks that make up Cloud Nine.  Some have got the first round of sashing.


Our group that meets once a month has only 3 more to go, and Cloud Nine will be the last one that we do.  I have given them a heads up on the cutting, there is a lot of it, and with all the extra fabric that comes in each kit, they can get a jump on this one. 


So far 5 blocks are finished. There is 1" sashing that goes between the blocks and the outside boarder has some piecing.  For now, I'm just trying to get the blocks together, as I need to put this aside and get cracking on another What Not pattern. 



It's been a great ride, but I'm looking forward to something different after the summer. Have you seen the quilt along that Lori and Karen are going to start in July?  I'm in for the appliqued blocks, anyone else jumping in?

Check out my Instagram posts, they are fast and easy for me so a bit more is going on there
#grassrootsquilting

Thanks for stopping by, hope you get some stitching in this week.
Sharon







11 comments:

Mimi said...

That is going to be a beauty! I love it. Can't wait to see it finished.

Karen said...

I like the block design and construction method. I seem to have trouble getting small parts to turn out exactly the way they should but have been working on doing better.

Linda O said...

Super cute blocks, Sharon! A lot of work, but will be darling! I will watch for your progress on the applique quilt along.

moosecraft said...

Oh my1 These blocks are gorgeous! Always been a fan of Kim Diehl stuff... especially her fabric lines... I'm kicking myself in the butt for not joining this year's Simple Whatnots... ;-)
p.s. I did not join this year's because I haven't finished LAST year's ... lol! So congrats to you for keeping up this far! :-)

Nancy said...

Very pretty blocks. I am glad you are joining in on the summer quilt along.

Lori said...

Nice job on those tiny blocks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such an awesome blog, I am in fact good to see this post. Nice article. The Tree Center

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I love this block! Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

Pine Valley Quilts said...

Great blocks, love your fabric choices.

liz said...

Nice blocks. I haven't seen anything like them before.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures and quilts! I'm in awe, everything looks so pretty. Hope it was a good day. Hugs,
obat kuat
obat kuat semarang