Sunday, July 23, 2017

Box Quilts

I've moved on from the bags, those have been emptied and now I'm trying to deal with boxes of fabric.  Not large pieces of fabric, but fabric that has been cut into shapes and sewn back together into blocks.  Well, some of it has made it to the block stage........

Sacagawea Sampler by Minick and Simpson  Oh yes, I'm still working on this.  Here you can see I've only got two empty spaces.  That's because I made a wagon wheel block instead of the sister block to the bottom left one.  I just didn't have it in me to make another zig zag border with a 1" center strip.  But I figured at some point Sacagawea must have rode in a wagon with Lewis and Clark, right?


Chinese coin styled block got all cut and pieced, tick.  One more block done.


Now I'm on to the last one, an appliqued log cabin, flag, a bird and a dog.  Surely you can see that block, the one between the above block and the wagon wheel.


This one.  Yes, I left it to the last.  I didn't know what color I would make the bird.  There are two birds on the top right block, no, you didn't miss them.  They haven't been appliqued yet because I didn't know which color placement I wanted.  But I got this block figured out.


Surely you can see the red bird, the blue dog, the flag and the log house in the middle.  I'm back basting this block so as I cut all the strips for the Chinese Coin block, I auditioned the fabrics for this block.  And I got the birds picked out for the top right block.  Now I'll have some hand applique to take on a trip later in August.
Next up is a bagged, boxed quilt.  Yup, I'm keeping it real here.  This was the bag I have been working out of for the last I don't know how long.  This all started with a tower of FQ's that were gifted to me several years ago.  I made a Liberated Star quilt and donated it to a Hospital Foundation fund raiser for a digital mammography machine.  My gf who runs the foundation got $1000 from it.

Then I made a second Lib Star quilt, and I gifted that out to my breast cancer surgeon.  He was a rock star, holding my hand as I walked the 5 year journey wearing the pink shoes.  And yet, I still felt there was another Lib Star quilt left to be made, the one for me.

 I dumped the bag out this week, and started sorting.  This makes it much easier than continually sifting in the bag to find a matching plaid for a star point.
 Now I have scraps of each color bagged up, I sorted the bigger pieces and organized them as well.


I took inventory of completed blocks on my design wall. I love where this is headed.  The blocks are 3", 6", 9" and 12" so they will all play nicely together.  Backgrounds are mostly Pie Crust and a Buggy Bary star print left over from backings.

The blocks that have been made are now boxed up, and this will be a perfect project to randomly work on.  It's a great one for a sew day get away or when I just want to do a little mindless piecing.


These two tops came of their cardboard houses and have been completed.  I'm hoping to have them published, so that's why you only get a peek.


My Carolina Christmas, that has lived in a box for about 5 years finally has become a full fledged quilt.  This is a Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt from years ago.  I knew what the finished quilt looked like before starting it. 
Her patterns require a TON of piecing, but they are great projects to use up colors of scraps. This one used up a lot of greens and reds and shirtings.  The border was also pieced, but *someone* cut ALL the pieces the wrong size, so the block did not work out.
Not to stress over it, I added the red stop border and used up the last of my favorite green.  Cat approved within seconds of throwing it over the bed to take these pictures.

Another long lost project is my Just Takes 2 (much time)  I've reworked this project several times, and yet it still ends up back in the box.  I have not abandoned it, I just need to make it a priority in my studio, and right now isn't the right time.


This box contains hundreds and hundreds of hourglass blocks in pink/brown combos.  It was from swaps I participated in back in 2008.  Yikes, 9 years ago.


I took it out, put lots of blocks up on the design wall

 I tried looking at the values, thinking that might help me out.

 Then I off set the rows, and this didn't thrill me.  Although now looking at it, it's a good design.


 I went back to this, straight setting the blocks, which finish at 3"


I have previously sewn a few four patch blocks and played around with them.  After all this time, I have decided to stick with my original plan.  Straight set the blocks and make a quilt out of them!
Keep it simple, let the color and fabrics do all the work and I'm confident I'll love it.  This is going to be my #1 project that I work on when I go away for our quarterly retreat in October.  I have my notes written with pressing instructions and all the block seams will line up and lock in place. 


So that's it for now.  I will tell you there is only one quilt that I've officially abandoned.  It was a workshop and I just didn't have the mojo to push through on it.  The fabric choices I made had a lot to do with it.  I've learned to not use "least favorite" fabric when taking a class, it just might be what holds you back from a great quilt top.

So pull out your favorite fabrics, cut them up, turn them into quilts that you will enjoy and be proud to show off.  Go on, I know you can do it!

So what's next for me?  A laundry basket full of parts and pieces and patterns and fabrics.  Don't expect to see that post for awhile.  I'm going to start working on a new website, so my personal sewing time will be spent at the computer for the next few months.

Keep stitching,
Sharon

8 comments:

Louise said...

Well young lady, I think you are heading in the right direction...and your thoughts are far more organized than my own.
I have been pulling everything out upstairs and there it all has remained...I know I will finish just not sure when..
I will try and follow your lead. By the way really like your wagon wheel block for the Sac quilt...good job Sharon!

Kyle said...

What a liberating feeling you must have. You've made a big push and dent into your bagged and boxed projects. I agree there's no sense keeping a project if you don't love it anymore.. Redisperse the fabrics or move it on so someone else might love it.

Nifty Quilts said...

All really beautiful projects, and definitely worth completing. It does feel good to get some finishes out of the way. Have fun with your new website--another creative project!

Mimi said...

Don't know where to start, so I will just say that I love this whole post.

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for the info on your Sacagawea Sampler. I and some of my quilting friends did a BOM on Lewis and Clark back around 2005-2006 thru out Hancock Fabric store when it was in our town. survivor972002@midco.net

Unknown said...

You are inspiring me to think about organizing my sewing room...maybe when football season starts and I have a lot of free time on my hands! Thank you for planting the seed....

Roxanne said...

You are finishing some amazing quilts! I love reading posts like this--thank you for the inspiration!

Robin said...

I enjoyed seeing your Carolina Christmas quilt. It's one that I have admired for a long time.