Friday, February 16, 2018

Tula Nova

It seems like this is a timely post, given the news about Free Spirit closing down. Tula and all the other amazing designers will hopefully pop up with other fabric houses, and will continue to give us amazing, unique, and timely designs.

My friend GB  had two hand pieced tops. She loves using Kaffe, Tula, and such.  Look how well these prints play with Grunge dot!

The background was quilted with a swirl based feather, and I added in pebbles (on the larger size).
I wanted to give the background some texture without being too dense.

Ruler work was the primary method used for the Center.  It has been hand pieced and lots of fussy cutting had been done.
Faces always give me jitters.  I don't like to stitch through them.  I just don't.  No idea why I'm like this.  A few lines this way and that solved the problem on this piece.

I really like how the movement of the background design plays on the straight lines of the center.

The fussy cutting was wonderful. GB's piecing is so good, it's always a pleasure to quilt for her.



A stellar selection of prints and colors.

The stripes were fun in this design, and the faces of Elisabeth certainly add to the overall appeal of this pattern.


Gotta love a good back, and I like to show both sides.


It's a fun mix of straight lines, feathers, swirls and circles.  All mixed up to add texture to a wonderful quilt top.
I hope quilters don't hang on to these wonderful fabrics due to the recent news.  Use them up, make fabulous quilts that get gifted and used.  That's what these fabrics were produced for.  Don't let them languish in your bins and drawers.  You bought the fabric because you loved it, so use your top shelf prints and enjoy the end result!

Keep stitching,
Sharon

7 comments:

julieQ said...

Beautiful work! I am glad you don't stitch through the faces...makes them look funny!

Janet O. said...

What a beautiful quilt! Your background quilting makes me drool, and I think the ruler work in the pieced area is wonderful! Thanks for the lovely shots of texture from the back.
That is interesting about the faces. Don't know that I have had to quilt anything with faces on it. Maybe I'd feel the same way. :)

Mimi said...

Beautiful quilting on a beautiful quilt. I did not know that about Free Spirit. I find that pretty amazing.

Diane said...

Amen to that last bit of advice! And the quilting is so fun, I love it.

Pat said...

Fascinating pattern and fabric choices - love the glimpses of Elizabeth I - the quilting design really enhances everything too - well done!!

Nifty Quilts said...

It's a beautiful quilt to begin with, and your quilting really makes it shine!

Diane said...

I want to quilt just like you when I grow up! This is beyond stunning. You are a genius. And I couldn't agree more with the "use your favorite fabric now" sentiment. Great advice!