Saturday, September 20, 2014

Really? Seriously?

Has is been since Aug that I posted anything I've been working one? Well, yes it has and thanks to one of my fabulous blog readers, I have been reminded of this. Thanks M, you gave me the nudge that I dearly needed.

I have a few excuses, but I'm sure none of you are interested in them. I know a few of you are anxiously waiting to see what the next round in my cheddar medallion quilt is going to be. Well, so am I. Just kidding. I auditioned several ideas, and the one that I really wanted to use stayed up on my design wall for a few weeks, but I just couldn't buy into it, and ended up going with my very first fabric that I sampled.  It's interesting how I'm so sure something will work, and then I just don't like it, no matter how long I kept it on my wall.  This is one of them that just didn't work.


Here is what I ended up using.  This is the inspiration fabric that I am basing this quilt on.  I love that it has reds, cheddar, blues, greens and it one of my favorite pieces that I own.  I just wish I hadn't been so cheap and bought more than 2 yards when I saw it. 


What can I say, we have all been there.  Agonizing over a decision for weeks and end up going with the first thing that we tried.  I'm ok with that, it validates that it was a good decision and I will not second guess it once the next round is attached.
Now I have my center on point, and once I do the math for my next round, I can trim down the setting triangles.  I intentionally over cut them to give me that wiggle room.


Speaking of the next round, I've already got that decision made, just not all the blocks that I need.  It's the process that intrigues me on a medallion, making decisions as I go along, not having a true vision of what the final outcome will be.  I shall continue with this journey until it tells me it's finished. I don't have enough of these little blocks made, yet again, like the center, they are being made with the trimmings of flying geese that I'm still working through. 

 

A few bindings have seen sewn down, which means I've had a few finishes in my sewing room.  I just can't share them all with you just yet, but as soon as they are available to post, I shall reveal them to you.

I welcome fall with open arms, it's my favorite time of year.  I have to admit, I've had one of the best summers that I can remember.  Most of that is due to my guy living on the ocean.  For the first time in years my legs are tanned, I've tasted the salt water, (sometimes more than I wanted to!) walked for miles on the ocean bed, sailed on a HobieCat every chance we had, and spent more nights with a fire on the beach than I can count.  Because of this, I count my blessings every day.  We both do, there isn't a day that goes by when we thank our lucky stars and verbalize how blessed and lucky we are to live in such an amazing place as the Pacific North West.  Yeah, yeah, we know it rains here, but that's just to clean the dust off everything once in a while.

I'm  SO grateful,
Sharon

10 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

I LOVE the way your feature fabric feathers create movement on this! Great idea to set it on point.

Janet O. said...

This is so fun. I often work on a "make it up as you go along" basis, and I enjoy each decision and the surprise of how the quilt ends up looking.
Beautiful fabric for the corners. It really creates a flow.
Sounds like you had a very good summer, but I also embrace Fall! : )

Nancy said...

I too wish I had bought more of this fabric.
Love the way you are using it.

Mimi said...

Life sounds very good for you. I am happy for you.

Diane said...

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful summer indeed. The medallion is simply amazing and I'm looking forward seeing how it progresses.

Janet said...

What a gorgeous cheddar medallion!! I love it together with the fabulous Turkey red setting triangles! I wish I could know when I'm standing in the quilt shop which fabrics would become my favorites too :0)

Mcm said...

Finally an update! Thanks for sharing.

Louise said...

I am loving that border fabric Sharon. Wowza...anxious to see the rest of this journey!

Lori said...

What a special summer you've had!
Love that fabric and your center on point. It is looking wonderful.

Pam Banis said...

Love your post and the quilting, so uplifting and beautiful!