Monday, July 11, 2016

Prepping for Surgery

Don't get excited, it's not my surgery. My guy is finally getting his shoulder repaired after 10 weeks. We hear it's going to be a very painful recovery, but knowing that every day after the surgery brings us one day closer to being back to working order makes us both happy. He retired in February, so this was his summer of sailing and golfing and getting an old car............. surgery!

So I need to be prepared for the next week, while I sit and keep him company for a few days. What else but EPP!

I have signed up for an EPP group that starts up in the fall, but I'm getting a jump start.  Wow, are those small diamonds small. That really sunk in when the package of 450 pieces arrived from Paper Pieces.  I'm trying a "new to me" method, no stitching through the paper, so the one hole punch is necessary for paper removal with a tiny crochet hook.



I've got lots of diamonds cut.  Super fast and easy since I had scads of 2 1/2" strips in a basket. 


Using small paper clips to hold down the seams makes the basting task more manageable, and I feel that I'm getting a tighter wrap on the paper.


So far, I have a small zip bag already basted.  However, it still looks like 1000's of papers are in the package, even though it only came with 450.

I'll have busy hands along with the surgeon. If I get bored, I also have a facing and sleeve to stitch down, and a wall hanging that is marked, basted and ready to hand quilt.  This should keep my hands busy for the next few days. 

Then it's back to the quilting machine with customer quilts.  I'm staying on task and am working with a 2 - 3 week turn around right now, so if you have any tops you need turned into quilts, please consider me, it's appreciated. 

Keep stitching,
Sharon

8 comments:

Mimi said...

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. My DH retired in April and is most likely looking towards back surgery. He has been trying to do as much as he normally does, but it's not to his optimum ability. He's hoping to put off the surgery until the Fall. Now as for the projects that you have lined up.....well, you just look like you have lined up something similar to BTCT with all those cherries! I am sure it is going to be beautiful. Best luck to your guy.

Sherrill said...

UGH. Is it rotator cuff? My DH had that years ago and had googled what to do post-op. When he went back to doc after couple of weeks and doc asked what he'd been doing, he demonstrated the wall crawling. Doc was horrified and told him to STOP! So don't let your DH do anything other than what doc says. (Altho my DH was told by his therapist she'd NEVER had anyone as far along as DH was at the 8 week point! He was so proud HAHA). But he's been gone 4 yrs now after a 1 yr. battle with brain cancer.

Pat said...

Wishing your guy a smooth recovery - my DH has put off the same surgery for years. Love those diamonds - your hole punch is identical to mine & really helps!

Lori said...

Good luck with surgery and sewing!!

Kyle said...

Sounds like both of you have lots of work ahead of you. Hope it all goes smoothly.

KaHolly said...

How did the surgery go? My guy had a hip replacement this summer, so I can relate. I am visiting you today from a back issue of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. I was inspired by your quilt, Black, White, and Bright to make a center block for a round robin I am participating in. Although I 'made it my own', your influence is clearly visible, so thank you! ~karen

Kaja said...

Good luck with the surgery! Your diamonds are tiny but they should keep you busy while you are keeping your husband company.

alicajohn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.