Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Best Big Stitch Needles

I got a bit jazzed on the Perle #8 threads a few years ago. I bought a lot of it, in lots of colors. Plus I have boxes of DMC threads, so it wasn't that I needed any colors. But these little balls of thread looked SO cute.

Years ago, in another life time when I used to sift and search eBay for no reason,  I bought this vintage top. It was so sweet, and yet so not worthy of a ton of time. I had found the perfect project to use some of these bright threads. Now to find the right needles.

I purchased a multi pack of big eye needles, branded for big stitch quilting.  It was tough for me to pull the eye through the fabric. Then I was bending the needle at the base of the eye.  And breaking the eye off.


Needless to say, this trouble send me packing, as in packing up the project and putting it away. Until I found these.  I've used Tulip needles for other types of sewing, and while we were at the quilt show in Monroe, WA we went into Quilting Mayhem  They had a very good selection of needles and I thought I'd give these a try. I used the #4, (there are 4 sizes in the package)


Although this isn't a very big top, approx 32" x 40", I got it finished in two weeks.  As soon as I took the first stitches, I was in heaven.  They went through like a hot knife through butter.

Since it was so pleasurable, I kept at it during the evenings, and in no time, I had resurrected not only an old top, but an abandoned project.



This sweet little piece just needs binding.  I have a soft yellow solid that is perfect, it's all cut and ready to add, and then it's ready to be washed and loved.


Tools of the trade are very subjective, what one quilter loves another one abandons. Just like methods to making blocks, there are many ways to achieve the same outcome, it's a matter of personal preference. I'm thrilled with this product so my $8.50 was well spent!

Keep stitching
Sharon

10 comments:

Janet O. said...

I haven't heard of these needles before. If I decide to attempt Big Stitch again in the future, I will have to check them out. Being able to pull the needle through like a "hot knife through butter" sounds heavenly (or maybe I am just hungry). : )
Love the outcome of the project!

Louise said...

Sharon, I love these needles. I first discovered them about 3 or 4 years ago and purchased quite a selection of them.
Been using them ever since..they do not bend or break like the ones I used to use..

Mimi said...

It's always a good thing to get an abandoned project back out and finished. This one is adorable. A job well done. Glad you enjoyed doing it.

Lori said...

Yay! What a cute project. I've tried these, but not with the larger thread.

Lace Faerie said...

I've used this brand of needles for other stitching and loved them! Don't know why I didn't think to look for other sizes. Thanks for the tip!

moosecraft said...

The right tools definitely make the difference! Tulip needles are my favorite as well!

Kyle said...

What a delightful project. The big stitches definitely went with the charm of the top. Thanks for the recommendation of the embroidery tulip needles. Glad you were able to rescue a quilt and finish up a long over due project.

Karen said...

I had read a bit about the Tulip needles in the past but had forgotten their existence. I am going to save your post to remind me.

Connie said...

I am so happy that I came to visit. I have been having the same problem . . . so will be keeping my eyes open for this needle package. Thank you!
Connie :)

Diane said...

Good tip! I didn't realize these were available, I'm going to have to give them a try. Thanks so much!