Monday, June 18, 2018

Canadian Quilters Association 2018

The Canadian Quilters Association put on their 30th Annual National Juried Show in Vancouver, BC May 31-June 2 It was held at Canada Place which is at the waterfront. The cruise ships dock here as well. There were 151 quilts juried into this show, as well as a traveling exhibit from a past Quilt Con and the Vancouver Quilt Guild also had a special exhibit.

I didn't take many photos as the show put out the most amazing catalog with a write up on every quilt. My niece came to the city and we took in this show together.  She had never been to a quilt show but has shown an interest in learning how to quilt.  I've already bought her a machine, and after the show, I pulled together a starter package for her.  It's all solids.  She loved anything that had curved piecing, used solid fabrics and was drawn to the Sashiko & Boro style of work when we wandered the vendor aisles.  I hope you enjoy the few photos I have to share.


This piece was faced, and I was so surprised my niece noticed that immediately.




Some amazing applique in this piece.  What a spectacular pictorial. This piece is 68 x 42 and I only have a partial shot of it.


There were a few of these large paper pieced quilts and the machine quilting was outstanding.

This Jinny Beyer pattern was striking and the machine quilting was outstanding. 


Yes, there were traditional patterns and this one was delightful.  Lots of piecing and it was great to get close up to this piece.




These next few pictures are from the Quilt Con traveling special exhibit.  This one drew me in, and once I looked at the info tag, it all became clear.  It's Tara Faughman work and I am a bit of a stalker on her IG account.  Her work intrigues me.  She uses simple shapes, but her color and value skills are of a very high level.  Simply turning a block here and there adds so much interest to her work.  This piece has been hand quilted with a metallic thread.



Wow, I loved this!







I hope you enjoyed a small sampling of what I shared.  This show was one where I put my camera away and looked with my eyes.  Sometimes I get so consumed with taking so many photos that I don't "see" the actual quilts.  Since the catalog was so amazing, and only $5, I enjoyed the show with my niece.  It was magical to see the talent of quilters draw her in and capture her imagination.

Keep stitching,
Sharon

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Wish I could have attended the show. I love Krista Hennebury's work. http://poppyprintcreates.blogspot.com/

Lori said...

I really enjoyed your photos! It looks like a great show with a wide variety of quilts.