Saturday, February 16, 2019

Just Takes 2 - Revisited

This on going project has been on life support for a few years. I've taken it out, put it on the design wall, and packed it up.....several times. I've helped others get started on the pattern, I've helped someone finish her top and have quilted a few of these. Mine, not so much.  It was retreat time again, so I packed up this box of blocks, fabric and an odd assortment of pages that remain from the pattern. This is what I had to put up on the wall in some manner of organization.  Yes, there are 2 feathered stars, along with two pineapple blocks that were not part of the pattern.


 These below blocks are stragglers that I couldn't seem to fit into the above layout. Trust me, I'm not even close to having a working pattern anymore. It's digital somewhere, maybe on that pc that was two devices ago.  Or maybe on a thumb drive.  I'd have to search through a bowl of those!   What you can't see in this picture is that the bottom block, Goose in the Pond is 11" unfinished.  It's supposed to be 12 1/2" unfinished.  It's been foundation paper pieced and I still remember taking over 2 hours to make this block on a sew day a few years ago.  I kept asking myself, "why would one make a 5 patch block into a 12" finished block?"  Why not rotary cut and piece it into a 15" block? 

Once I had listed all the blocks that were made, I came home and started cutting them up on graph paper.  That seemed to be a design nightmare for me.  I went to Sentimental Stitches, where the pattern came from.  (btw, it's still available for purchase and it's on sale).   I found this spread sheet listed on Gay's site; I hit the motherlode.  All I had to do was figure out how many blocks of what size I had already made and then make more blocks in the remaining sizes.  Then I could put the quilt together in the same order, by block size, that the original pattern showed.


I needed one more 15" block.  That Goose in the Pond?  A perfect candidate for a block that size. I quickly drafted out the measurements, and got to piecing it. Super easy, every seam nests together when it's not FPP, no paper to tear out and no hair to pull out!

In the few pages of patterns that remain, I saw these three circles, so super cute and fast and easy to make. I did reverse applique for the white circle and hand appliqued the red ones.  Stitched together they look darling!


I pulled out my Red and White Bible book of quilts, listed a plethora of pages for block ideas and I now have a workable plan to finish this quilt top. My blocks won't be the same pattern as the original pattern and I'm ok with that.  It will be MY quilt, inspired by Just Takes 2 (much time) and at this point, I am confident this plan will result into a finished quilt top. 


There is a Drunkards Path block on one of the pattern sheets.  This one is supposed to finish at 9" and it's a 4 patch.  The method used in the pattern was applique.  I've made this block before, it's included in my very first sampler quilt.  I pulled out my trustly first quilt book, found my bag of templates, and marked out the sections for a 12" finished block.  I got 14 sections hand stitched last night.

This will definitely become a quilt top.
It won't happen soon, but it will happen.  Maybe on my next retreat I'll get a few more blocks picked out and sewn together.  Maybe I'll already have the blocks stitched (doubtful).   The Red & White  show continues to inspire me and flipping through the book brought so many 'good' quilt designs back in front of me.

The moral of this post? If you love the project, you will finish it.  It might take longer than expected, it might not look like the original piece you started to make, but you can re engage.  It just has to be the right time with the right circumstances.

What project do you want to bring back to the sewing table?
Keep stitching,
Sharon

10 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have 35 star blocks made of all scrap triangles and all I need to do is cut the other half of the sashing and cornerstones. As much as I love cutting I really have no excuse and it has to be finished this year (for my conscience's sake). Have fun with the rest of your blocks.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It is a beautiful quilt and I am sure that when you choose the blocks that speak to you, you will be able to finish it in no time. I have several stalled quilts, and when I get to them, it amazes me that they are stalled. Usually the fix is a pretty simple change.

Lori said...

The info on Gays blog looked perfect to simplify you finishing this quilt! Whoop! Whoop!
I just brought mine to CA and gave it away. It was fun to make but I wasn't particularly fond of it.

Mimi said...

No matter how long it takes you, it's going to be beautiful when it is done. Me? I still have Dear Jane sitting in the wings. One of these days.....

julieQ said...

Sharon, your quilt is just wonderful! I think I made a dozen blocks and quit. Are you interested in quilting a quilt for me???? Purty please??

Ann Parks said...

My current project are exchange blocks from 1995. I've had a plan for a long time and, like you, I've pulled this project out, played with it, and returned it to the shelf. When I pulled it out this time, I reminded myself that I now have the skills to do this with a rotary cutter and machine piecing. The magazine quilt is merely inspiration. Yes, it was hand pieced in the magazine, but I don't have to do it that way. It seems so obvious to me now. Here's hoping it will be a top before the month is out! Have fun with your newly discovered old favorite!

Janet O. said...

Seems like several bloggers were working on this quilt back when. Sounds like it would have been a headache to pull together if not for Gay's spread sheet. What a great find!
I am puzzled as to why a Goose In The Pond block would need to be FPPed? Your larger block is great, and I'm with you as well on doing the Drunkard's Path without applique. :)

I really want/need to get out my Double Wedding Ring one day and start stitching all of the assembled units together. It has been way too long since it saw the light of day!

Pat said...

Love your closing statement - if you love the project you will finish it...100% spot on Sharon!! Your red and white Just Takes Two is really heading down the home stretch. Everything looks so crisp. Isn’t the Red and White/Infinite Variety book a wonder - so beautifully put together - thought I remember hearing a while back that part of the huge collection would be travelling. What a sight that would be to see.

Nicole said...

Oh wow, this does look like a challenge. I promise you, if you finish it, it will be your favorite quilt ever. I have a red and white pineapple quilt that has been on and off the design wall a few times too. One of these days I am just going to get it done. Your post inspires me to get it out again!

Nifty Quilts said...

This is lovely. Definitely worth finishing, especially in your own way, and in your own time. I like your statement, "This is MY quilt." Yes, it is!