String Flowers started to come together in a Gwen Marston workshop and ended up being published in American Patchwork and Quilting. This class was titled as Strings, so I didn't bother to read any the the class supply/info list and showed up with my string patches, an idea and Gwens String book. I knew Gwen would give me "hands on" instructions/inspiration, and I couldn't wait to get started. With her guidance this was the end result. This version was hand appliqued and hand and machine quilted.
It turned out that the class required yardage! Oh well, I was able to make a few sample blocks to take home and play around with the class technique. I ended up using the class technique that Gwen taught as the outer border for this second color version.
Here is my second version that was machine appliqued. I also faced this piece. Instead of appliqued leaves, I used a 12 wt thread matching the stem and
did some big stitch embellishment. Notice that I machine quilted right
over the big stitch. The stems were machine stitched along the edge
while the petals were machine sewn with a blanket stitch. The flower
petals were hand quilted to add a bit more texture.
I tried out some new to me tape. 3M Scotch brand green tape for ROUGH SURFACES. It's a painters tape, but I was able to stick quilts to a concrete wall and the side of our condo. I tucked this in behind a blooming rhododendron. It was vibrating with so many bumble bees buzzing in and out of each blossom.
So many bees that it was quite easy to get this photo.
The link to another version and the pattern is at the beginning of this post. Here is APQ's second colorway that they showed.