Sunday, October 10, 2010

Flowers and Beyond the Cherry Tree

It's already a week into October and I'm so amazed at how many flowers are still blooming. This is down the side of my home and it's the view from my sewing room window. I love the big mix of color!

These zinnia's were from seeds I scattered along the back of the flowerbed.  I "planted" a package of marigolds and cone flowers as well.  The marigolds came up big and bright, but I haven't seen one cone flower.
I planted one dahlia bulb in this bed and it's gorgeous.

I've picked my pumpkins and the last of the zucchini. The only thing left in my garden is a small row of green onions, dahlias, and cana lilies that haven't bloomed. Time will tell on these, they were so slow to start and now I'm thinking the frost will come before they bloom. These are Cinderella pumpkins.
Now onto quilting updates. My hexi project is now in one piece. There are a few additions that need to happen along parts of the border and then I'm going to applique it to red borders.

Now that the days are getting shorter and the weather doesn't permit yard work every day, I'm getting back into some quilting. There is a BOM being published at Sentimental Stitches and it's called Beyond the Cherry Tree. So far 12 of the 25 block patterns have been published, so I'm a little behind. But this is by choice. I wanted to finish a few other projects and I hummed and hawed about how I was going to make this. I finally decided on one background for the whole quilt and a variety of civil war reds/cheddars/greens. Several others are making this and you can see their projects here, here, here, here, and here!

There are lots of circles on this quilt and block one calls for reverse applique for the cherry centers. I'm layering, but they are tiny!

Do you test patterns? I never do, until now. I'm prepping several blocks before I start doing the applique. This is block 3. My preferred method is to iron freezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric, baste the 1/4 inch seam allowance to the back, and then applique it to the background. Not a chance on this piece. Those fingers aren't even a 1/4" apart on the pattern. Just by cutting down the center of the lines you only get about an 1/8" seam allowance to turn under. So I went to my back up method. Back basting. Yes, this block will be done using the back basting method.
I have the cutest snowman quilt on my machine right now, I spent a few hours yesterday working on it and need to spend more time today quilting.
I hope you get some sewing in on this Sunday.
Thanks for stopping by,
Sharon

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I can't believe the variety of flowers you still have blooming. I just have asters at this point. Your coneflowers may come up next year. I have had that happen with columbine, none the first year, and then several the second year.

Karen said...

I am saving the patterns but don't know when I will ever get started on Beyond the Cherry Trees. I think I would use one background too.

Mimi said...

What fun looking at everyone's Cherry Tree blocks. I am so glad you are jumping in and am looking forward to seeing your blocks added to the list.

Sharon said...

Oh my, your flowers are so gorgeous! Mine are on their last legs. I did manage to keep my hanging basket of geraniums alive the whole summer! That was a first for me! And I love your pumpkins!

Your hexies look so good! You're nearly there - whoo hoo!

I have the patterns for the Cherry Trees, but don't know if I'll do it or not. Good luck with yours!

And, btw, what is back basting??

Pat said...

Have been following everyone's Cherry Tree Blocks and think it is time to start my own! The back basting method has helped me a lot in improving my beginner status in applique. I notice you are using Karen Kay Buckley's template circles too...think I need a set of those also!!
Love your fabric choices...
That's it - no more excuses from me...
And thanks for sharing.

Rose Marie said...

Your flowers still look lovely so late in the season. Yesterday morning, we had a hoar frost.

Those Cherry Tree blocks are on my list to do and I have been printing off the patterns each month. One of these days ....

Ann Champion said...

I'm so behind in my blog visiting...
Your applique project is going to be gorgeous! I love your fabric choices.
Your hexies look fantastic. It's so fun to see them come together into a quilt. The red is so pretty.
Your banner is just darling. Who could resist starting such a cute project like that? ;)
Your scrappy blocks will make a wonderful quilt. So many nice fabrics to look at. I just love scrappy!
Your garden along the fence is so pretty! I know that was a lot of work to plant it..but so worth the effort? Since it's a bit protected maybe it will last through a frost or two?