Saturday, December 10, 2011

Hand Made Gifts

I'm not interested in buying something just because it's Christmas time and I want to give a gift. I try to have gifts that are useful, something that people will appreciate and use. I had a fresh wreath shipped to my friend in OR and I got my other gal pal a "starter" kit of solids. She's taking a Gwen Marston workshop next spring and does not have one solid in her sewing room.
All my friends are over 40 so any one of them could use a few new dish towels. This only took a few evenings to whip up, and I know it will be used. This pattern is from Crap (thank you, Carol) Crab Apple Hill and its #254 Victory Garden. There is also carrots, strawberries and radishes. My LQS has lots of tea towel selections, so I'm sure there will be more of these done over the winter.

I've got my stockings hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St Nick will soon be there.
How about you? Are you close to ready?
Sharon

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tea towels are a lovely gift, and the wreath and fabric were thoughtful ones for your friends. It is a comforting feeling to make selections that fit the person. You asked if we readers are ready? My house is yet to be adorned with a tree or trees but I have been quite busy with projects that are to be finished before Christmas. It will all come together soon, I hope and believe. Have a merry Christmas!

Lori said...

Hand made gifts are the best! If I can make them, even better. Love your towel!!

LuAnn said...

It sounds like you are right on schedule with your gift making. If I keep up this pace, I will be ready for Christmas around Valentine's Day.......Love all of your projects.

Merilyn said...

Handmade gifts are definitely the go! Love the embroidered tea-towel! Your fireplace is decorated very nicely with your hearth quilt, nice work!!!

Browndirtcottage said...

Well, of course, when you're over 40 it's time to have another 'bridal' shower....don't ya think?? By then things are a little worn out!!
Your little hand stitched towels are great, who wouldn't want to have one of these!!
And I must say I LOVE your 'little stockings' all hung by the chimney with care!!!

Janet O. said...

Love handmade gifts! Yes, the "over forty" crowd could use new dishtowels. : )
Love your stocking fireplace hanging (couldn't call it a wall hanging).
Just got the last of the Christmas decor up today--I started over a week ago! Shopping nearly finished. Baking only began today.

Rachel said...

Not close...but getting there. I love your stocking quilt. That is just the cutest! The dishtowels will make beautiful (and cherished) gifts. I'm not sure I would use one if I received it as a gift - I'd be afraid to ruin it!

Barb said...

what a sweet towel - very cute.
Love your stocking hanging!