Sunday, March 28, 2010

One down, one to go

I haven't been very diligent in blogging the past few weeks, hopefully that will change.  It just seems that I haven't had any time, yet that should mean I have lots to blog about. Not so much these days.  Maybe it's because I've been working on two king size quilt bindings for a customer.  The floral one is finished and packed and the second one is a work in progress.
These quilts are from the 70's or 80's. They were finished in 1988, all cross stitched and hand quilted. This one has high loft poly batting, I can't imagine how sore the quilters hand and wrist must have been. Now that they are getting their binding, they will be passed down to the grand children of the maker.
I'm so honored to be a part of peoples family treasures. I shall have the second one finished in time to hand deliver next weekend.

This is my first spring in my new home and there is lots of yard to clean up and get ready. Thank goodness for my gal pal Sandra. She's my longest friend on the planet, we met in Gr.2. She is also a fantastic gardener. We spend all day Saturday in my back yard. I got lessons in pruning and she went to work with the big tools. She had the saw and the ladder, I got the snippers! After 10 man hours I had 2 hydrangras done, 2 pear trees, two apple trees, the raspberry patch put into some order and all staked up, as well as the beds weeded and the kiwi vine trimmed up. This was a perfect way for me to learn how to look after things. There are a few bigger jobs that will require a team of guys, the one time jobs. We also went for lunch and did a little retail therapy. No, no fabric, but new tools. It was hard to find the quality tools and shop local, but I think we did ok.
My new years quilting resolution was to not start any new projects. Well, I did allow myself to start one new one, the hand applique mentioned in my last blog. I'm committed to finishing off projects that I've already invested in. Here is one more off my list. The binding needs to be stitched down by hand, but I have to get my tires changed after work tomorrow, so this will be a good take along.
This is the last of three of this pattern, I love this runner and have gifted 2 of them. This last one is for me. What a good feeling to cross one more project off my list!
It's been a three day weekend for me as I played hooky on Friday with my boss. We did a local shop hop and managed to find something that we needed in every single store we went into! Right now my purchases are drying and I'll share pics in my next post. Until then, sew a bit!
Sharon

No comments: