Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Hand Quilting BTCT

I thought I'd share how things are going with my BTCT. If you see me blogging about  "the Tank" please know I'm referring to my Beyond the Cherry Tree quilt.  Good grief, 100 x 100 is a lot of quilt to maneuver around on your lap.

I've figured out a few things.

Two needles are better than one.  I can quilt twice as much and only shift the quilt once.  I also leave a long tail on each thread so I can pick it up and go in the opposite direction and I'll have 1/2 the knots in my top.

I wore down my thumb nail pulling the needle through the quilt. I'd get little grooves in it, so I'd file them out and pretty soon I was filing my skin as my nail was getting so short. Then my nail split.  Pondering how I was going to continue this process for the next 18 months or so, I came up with an idea.  Now I have an acrylic nail on my thumb; I quilted for 2+ hours on Sat night and not a dent or a chip to be seen!  The $3 fix.  Manicures for the next year or so............are you feeling sorry for me? ;-)

I'm outlining all the applique about a 1/16 to an 1/8th of an inch away from the design, usually I stitch so close to the applique that you can't even see the stitches.  Lori and Humble Quilts works like this and I love how it looks. 
That's what I love about blogging, quilters across the world or across the street can all teach us something new.  The marking done by Bellwether Dry Goods is amazing.  If you click on the first picture of this post, you can see that the line just disappears once it's stitched.  When I was basting this, I saw places that still had eraser rubbings on the top, they made corrections that were 1/16th of an inch difference.  They strive for perfection and did an amazing job for me.

So far I have this much done and I've got 6-7 hours into it so far................

Sharon
.

12 comments:

antique quilter said...

looks beautiful oh please keep sharing pictures of the quilting and close up of blocks, your inspiring me to get started :)
Kathie

Barb said...

What a clever solution! Your stitching is beautiful. Don't you love hand quilting in the winter months?

Lori said...

Looking good Sharon! Do you use a hoop? No hoop?

Pat said...

What a great tip! Am having the same problem with my right thumb nail splitting -such a bother! Will look for those acrylic nails while shopping today. And your designation The Tank is so accurate. My arms are worn out struggling with all the weight of it and still pacing around the house seeking the perfect quilting spot - chair, lighting & quilt support. The biggest obstacle is Time!

Pat said...

What a great tip! Am having the same problem with my right thumb nail splitting -such a bother! Will look for those acrylic nails while shopping today. And your designation The Tank is so accurate. My arms are worn out struggling with all the weight of it and still pacing around the house seeking the perfect quilting spot - chair, lighting & quilt support. The biggest obstacle is Time!

Louise said...

Well young lady I think you are well on your way. Try to pace yourself Sharon..you don't want any shoulder injuries!

Janet O. said...

I'm curious about Bellwethers and the markings. You have someone mark the quilt for you? Never have heard of this. How does it work?

Aunt 'Reen said...

What a great approach you've made with your double needle stratedgy! Also like your great excuse for a manicure. lol
I admire your ambition for hand quilting this beauty.

Nifty Quilts said...

What courage you have. This will be a lifetime achievement award!

Mimi said...

Am I feeling sorry for you? No...I am feeling sorry for your manicurist who only gets to do one acrylic nail every couple weeks! LOL. Just kidding. Your quilting is looking great. Glad you came up with a solution for THE nail. ;D

Browndirtcottage said...

First off, this quilt is going to be just FABULOUS!! It already show signs of SPLENDOR!

As I was reading about your hand quilting dilemma I couldn't figure out what you were talking about with your thumb nail. I looked and looked at your photo and then it dawned on me.....I wear the rubber finger
thingy on my THUMB to pull the needle through. I wear my thimble on my middle finger mostly but sometimes will use my index finger.

Browndirtcottage said...

Oops! I lied to you! I got to thinking about what I said and had to go 'put on' my hand quilting stuff n thingies to see. I wear my blue finger gripper on my index finger and my thimble on my middle one. I still can't see how you are wearing grooves in your thumb nail.

The top of my thumb nail receives some scratches on the top from pushing down in front of the needle when it comes back out on the top.

I've been staring an staring at your photo! ....lol....I can't figure you out 'gurl'...!!