Sunday, July 10, 2011

Class Projects Revisited

My two days in May with Gwen Marston were fabulous, I'm still talking about it and many things she talked about are still rattling around in my mind. I learned so much that I signed up for 2 more days in May 2012 with Gwen.  Money well spent, I say!  We did the Lib Log cabin one day and 18th Century Applique the second day.  I decided to use up the pile of left over strips and make a second log cabin.

This one is for a friend of mine who have never been gifted a quilty item from me, although she has been promised something for quite some time.  I have it all basted and now to finish the hand quilting!  Again, I'm using a rusty color of thread, this time it's a Gutermann color.


I've also worked on my one block applique.  The hand quilting is finished and it now needs its binding turned and stitched to the back and then I'm finished.  I believe this will be #1 in a series of small appliques.  I so enjoyed working on this. 

Forcing myself to use the needleturn method on the above project has led me to pull out this project. 

My gal pal DebS brought this back from Hawaii. I felt this was way above my quilting pay grade, but honestly, I'm having a great time working on this.  It will be a wall hanging or pillow case, and it will be donated to a United Way fundraiser. I'm so glad I was gifted this, as I know I want to make some other Hawaiian styled pieces and this was a great way to try out this type of applique.
What new techniques have you tried this year?
Sharon

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so happy to read you had a wonderful time! It's my dream to take a class with her one day...or perhaps she'll come to Europe? Your applique looks great!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful gift for your friend! She is going to love it. So cool that you took the class from Gwen. The applique is wonderful too!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

your Lib Log Cabin quilt is fab - love the quilting! oh, more days with Gwen??? so jealous.

Sharon said...

Your new Lib Log Cabin is wonderful! Love that red. And your applique is great! Hooray for you that you finished it! Mine is languishing at the moment - maybe when the challenge quilt is done I can get back to it.

I just tried a new technique - check it out on my newest blog post!

Lori said...

What lovely projects from your class!!