Thursday, July 22, 2010

Back to Reality

I spent Friday night to Tuesday morning camping at this lake. It was 90 miles away from home, so far enough away to get away, yet close enough to be a managable drive for a few days away.  Our site wasn't lake side, it's a hike down to the lake, but it's well worth the effort. The beach is private so once we hauled our chairs, towels and toys to the waters edge, we were able to leave them down at the beach.


I said camping, right? I really did mean camping. Here was my hotel room for the four nights.  And I managed to get in a little hand quilting time. I find it hard to read when people around me are talking, but it was the perfect time to relax with needle and thread.

Everyone that was invited brought their kids, the 2 and 4 legged kind. I have to say my Annie (border collie) was extremely well behaved. She had never been camping so I was a bit concerned, but she did great.

And this is what I came home to. My watering job! This is down the side of the driveway. I over planted as some things, the Livingston Daisy, grew far bigger than I knew they would. I also planted Madame Butterfly snap dragons, which are very interesting. There is a variety of things still coming up, but everything that survived the attack of the slugs is doing really well. The hardest hit has been the marigolds.

Livingston Daisies. Note the different colors on one plant.

Madame Butterfly Snap Dragons.

I am waiting for a dahlia to bloom, along with some zinnia's, cone flowers, and the crackerjack marigolds. I planted a packet of seeds of each of these.

My back yard had an excavator in it when I got home from work.  I'm going to look for "before" pictures and will post an update.
....and don't ask me what happened to my blog. I tried a simple "update" and crap happened.
Sharon

2 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Are those flowers all of the new ones you planted this year?
I will see my friend from childhood next week at our high school class gathering. She has a rare cancer but seems upbeat so far.

Valentina said...

Thanks for those camping pictures!
My heart skipped a beat just seeing them!
:)
And your flowers... exuberant colour, indeed!
Hoping you continue to have a lovely summer, Sharon!