Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A New Book

Have you seen this new book that's out? Biz Storm and Mary Kinch have been very busy since their last book was published. This is the perfect title for the quilts that are showcased.

I do love that they have been so generous in giving credit; to those quilters who created amazing quilts in years gone by and to the quilters of today.

If you have the book, take another look at page 18 - 19. How sad that the makers are unknown on both of these amazing creations. Someone labored over both of these pieces for days, weeks, months, probably the work spanned several years, and here we get to see the marvelous work of those before us and the maker is listed as "Unknown". Tragic. Imagine making a quilt like either of these with no rotary cutter, no design wall, no hot running water!


Here's my 15 minutes of play this evening. I just couldn't resist giving it a whirl with all the 1 3/4" squares I have that were bonus blocks from a recent top. What do you think? Should I attempt to make a one block version? The cover quilt has been added to my bucket list as well.

What inspired you this week?

Sharon

11 comments:

MB in MI said...

Absolutely! Go for it--it will be a great one block version.

Ali Honey said...

I think the cover quilt looks interesting too. I have noted the name of the book - Thanks.

Janet O. said...

Hey, why not go for it if you've come that far? Looks like wonderful detail-rich quilts in that book.

Me and My Stitches said...

I just bought this book - haven't had a chance to really look through it, but I loved their first book.

Browndirtcottage said...

oooooo aaahhhhh! Oh yes, I LOVE small pieces and YES, you should go for it!! This looks like a wonderful book!!!

Nancy said...

Looks like another book I need. LOL!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Wow - those HST blocks look amazing laid out like that - my vote it YES! (I think I need to buy that book) lol

Mimi said...

I like the quilt on the cover of that book, too. My inspiration is widespread especially just coming back from a quilt retreat so I can't say any one thing. I am just feeling motivated and raring to go.

Dixie Howard said...

This book is definitely on my wish list. Yes, you should make a one block version, for sure!

Pat said...

Will be looking for that book ! Have always liked little pieces growing into a quilt. You are off to a great start with your own version.

What inspired me? Hmmm. - 1/2" hexies in a very cute purse pattern I downloaded. But mostly just visiting everyone's quilting blogs :o)

Mary Elizabeth Kinch said...

Thank you for your kind words Sharon. I am so glad you are enjoying our book. And your star looks fabulous as a one block quilt!