Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Joy of Life Applique

Here is my new project.  Merry M so kindly gave me this project in Oct 2011.  I promised I would make it and not let it sit in the bottom of a drawer and now that I've got BTCT finished, it's time to open this up and get started. I believe I'm addicted to having a hand project at all times. It just feels weird not having an applique block to pick up when I sit down. Coming off the 25 block with appliqued borders, BTCT, this one, at 9 blocks, seems like it will be a snap.
The prep work and block piecing is my focus right now. I've made the "pages" of an applique travel book, one where I can put my blocks while they are in process. I've made the 'pages' out of felted wool and that's as far as I've gotten. I need some corrugated plastic board to put inside the cover sleeve, and of course, I'll want an appliqued block on the cover. I may have one already, I'll have to see if it will work with the measurements.
 Joy of Life is available here, here, or here.


Here is the first of two quilts for M.  This has a brushed flannel back and will be super cosy this winter.
M wanted feathers, her favorite motif on quilts.  I did each half of the block with a curved feather and then feathered the border.  With all the plaids, I chose burgundy thread and it worked out terrific.
One more to go for M, it's about 1/3 quilted and it's super cute.  Since I'm still dealing with a sore shoulder/neck at the chiro and massage therapist, I'm only able to quilt for 45 -75 minutes at a time.

Night shiff ended at midnight last night, but a co worker called in sick so I was back at work at 7:30 a.m. It has been a very long day, and now there is no power at home.  Tomorrow I'm off to the dentist, for the 4th time, for the same tooth.  2 dentists and $1900 later, my tooth and face hurts more than it did before I knew I had a sore tooth!  Keep your fingers crossed for an easy fix tomorrow!

Sharon

8 comments:

Louise said...

This should be a piece of cake after BTCT Sharon. You will get it donw and it will be stunninf. Sorry about your aches and pains, never fun.

Janet O. said...

Beautiful quilt--I love the subtle 9-patch blocks in the background.
Love the plaid quilt--looks so homey!
Oh, I hope you get your tooth problem resolved quickly!

Brandie said...

Ooooo, that makes me like pink! Oh you temptress!

antique quilter said...

ohI hope you feel better soon, I hate toothaches
I love your new project
such pretty colors.
I love feathers on my quilts too
Kathie

Nancy said...

With all the different things in your life I am always amazed at what you are able to accomplish.
This will be another beautiful quilt.
Good luck with the tooth and happy Thanksgiving.

Lori said...

I know what you mean about not having a hand applique project. I've been quilting my BTCT in the evenings, but it isn't portable!
Love the pieced backgrounds for your new applique project.
Feel better soon and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Mimi said...

you poor thing. I sure hope the dentist can fix your problem. I love your applique quilt. I know what you mean about having a hand project after working the BTCT quilt for so long. I think I went through withdrawals, too.

Pat said...

A wonderful new applique project - love the design.
So envious of you being able to say BTCT is done - it will be months before the quilting is finished on mine!

Hope the dentist can make things right this time. No fun going through all that.