Sunday, November 20, 2011

Red & White LOVE

Finally, this is finished. Well, it needs a label but my friend is making one for me, I just have to get her the information.

This quilt is for my bed and here are the particulars.
Bonnie Hunter pattern,  Pineapple Blossoms  Bonnie is the ultimate scrap quilter, but I tend to be more controlled with my fabric choices. 
Blocks constructed using her method of making the corners results in "bonus blocks"  You get 5 from each block so this quilt generates 550 1/2 sq triangles.

This quilt finished at 90 x 100  For batting I used a layer of Warm & Natural AND a layer of Hobbs Wool. 

**UPDATE** I used two batts, W & N on the bottom for the density and weight, it's a flat batt, and wool on top for the warmth and loft.  I like heavy blankets on me in the wintertime. **

Thread used was King Tut hombre reds on top and Signature Cotton in Holiday Red for the back. 
A scrappy binding finished it off.


I'm calling this my LOVE quilt.  I love red and whites, I used a triple heart motif on the quilting,


it's the first quilt I've made specifically for my own bed, and I absolutely fell in love with all the Red & White two color quilts while in NYC this spring.
What's your favorite color combination?

Sharon

9 comments:

Lori said...

It is awesome Sharon. You must tell me why you used two battings. Inquiring minds want to know!
I never met a quilt with a color I didn't liked but I do love red and white too:) Especially after the NYC exhibit.

Me and My Stitches said...

It is wonderful! Red is my favorite - and anything that might go with it! I also want to know about the 2 battings.

susis quilts said...

dear sharon ,your quilt is wonderful,my favourite colours are all colours,sometimes even pink,have a nice week,susi

Wendy said...

It's just stunning, I love red and white as well.

liz said...

Love the quilt. I have never made a red and white quilt but after seeing them all over the blogs in March/April I want one. The only colour I don't like is bottle green, so everything else goes. Yes, do explain the 2 battings.

Janet O. said...

This is beautiful. I, too, tend to control my colors a little more, but I would love to be able to let go of that and just try one totally random.
Nice choice on the quilting motif.
I've admitted in the past that I went through a purple and green phase. Right now I am really loving blue and brown, but I haven't made the quilt yet--just have a pile of fabric set aside.

Wendy said...

I love the look of it. Congratulations on a beautiful job! I'm with the others - want to know why you used two battings. Just curious, that's all.

nitro rc trucks said...

I have never made a red and white quilt but after seeing them all over the blogs in March/April I want one. The only colour I don't like is dark shadings like dark blue, yellow, and red.

Karen said...

All those reds! Makes my heart sing. I have made a couple quilts with many reds and whites. The more the merrier.