Sunday, November 20, 2011

Red & White LOVE

Finally, this is finished. Well, it needs a label but my friend is making one for me, I just have to get her the information.

This quilt is for my bed and here are the particulars.
Bonnie Hunter pattern,  Pineapple Blossoms  Bonnie is the ultimate scrap quilter, but I tend to be more controlled with my fabric choices. 
Blocks constructed using her method of making the corners results in "bonus blocks"  You get 5 from each block so this quilt generates 550 1/2 sq triangles.

This quilt finished at 90 x 100  For batting I used a layer of Warm & Natural AND a layer of Hobbs Wool. 

**UPDATE** I used two batts, W & N on the bottom for the density and weight, it's a flat batt, and wool on top for the warmth and loft.  I like heavy blankets on me in the wintertime. **

Thread used was King Tut hombre reds on top and Signature Cotton in Holiday Red for the back. 
A scrappy binding finished it off.

I'm calling this my LOVE quilt.  I love red and whites, I used a triple heart motif on the quilting,

it's the first quilt I've made specifically for my own bed, and I absolutely fell in love with all the Red & White two color quilts while in NYC this spring.
What's your favorite color combination?



Lori said...

It is awesome Sharon. You must tell me why you used two battings. Inquiring minds want to know!
I never met a quilt with a color I didn't liked but I do love red and white too:) Especially after the NYC exhibit.

Me and My Stitches said...

It is wonderful! Red is my favorite - and anything that might go with it! I also want to know about the 2 battings.

susis quilts said...

dear sharon ,your quilt is wonderful,my favourite colours are all colours,sometimes even pink,have a nice week,susi

Wendy said...

It's just stunning, I love red and white as well.

liz said...

Love the quilt. I have never made a red and white quilt but after seeing them all over the blogs in March/April I want one. The only colour I don't like is bottle green, so everything else goes. Yes, do explain the 2 battings.

Janet O. said...

This is beautiful. I, too, tend to control my colors a little more, but I would love to be able to let go of that and just try one totally random.
Nice choice on the quilting motif.
I've admitted in the past that I went through a purple and green phase. Right now I am really loving blue and brown, but I haven't made the quilt yet--just have a pile of fabric set aside.

Wendy said...

I love the look of it. Congratulations on a beautiful job! I'm with the others - want to know why you used two battings. Just curious, that's all.

nitro rc trucks said...

I have never made a red and white quilt but after seeing them all over the blogs in March/April I want one. The only colour I don't like is dark shadings like dark blue, yellow, and red.

Karen said...

All those reds! Makes my heart sing. I have made a couple quilts with many reds and whites. The more the merrier.