Monday, May 13, 2013

ReEngaging........

Life has a way of keeping  me on my toes and keeping me from becoming complacent.  I am officially unemployed.  I was "laid off" due to "job restructuring", so now it's time to dust off that old resume and start looking for a new job.  While my employment status was up in the air, I decided to take a break from blogging. I signed off the paperwork last Saturday evening and hit the road on Sunday to spend a week with my father.
I took some hand applique with me.  Dad and I spent every evening watching the first round of the Stanley Cup, we love our hockey!
During the days, I tackled one big job per day.  We were trying to downsize my dad's house as he's having thoughts of selling  and moving into an apartment/condo.  My goal was 1/2.  Keep 1/2 and get rid of 1/2. We did great, as this was a team effort.  I did not want him thinking I was getting rid of his stuff, he had to be part of the process and he did great!

I got the last 'flower' stitched down before breakfast Sunday morning, then I hit the road for my 5+ hour drive home.

Each block has a big star with a small moon that needs to go in the center and the pattern calls for 1/2 sq tri's all around the border. I need to order another yard of the red fabric, so that will get done today.
Over and above looking for work, I've got a busy 4-6 weeks ahead of me and my yard had exploded while I was away.

Sharon

13 comments:

Janet O. said...

Sounds like you were a big help to your Dad. Was it cathartic to have a project like that to throw yourself into after the layoff?
Your quilt is looking beautiful. Lovely work!
I wish you well in the job hunt!

Karen said...

Sorry to learn that you are going to be on the job hunting market. I hope it goes quickly.

I very much like the applique blocks you are working on. They look large in size. I just finished a large size applique block. It drug out for several days as my heart just wasn't in it. But it is needed for the quilt pattern I am working on.

Aunt 'Reen said...

Sharon, so sorry to hear you were laid off! Pray the perfect job comes along for you soon!
How nice to have spent time with your Dad. I'm sure he is very grateful for the visit and assistance.
LOVE your newest applique' project!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad to hear your dad was willing to work with you on the downsizing project and it is good that you do it while he is still able. Too many leave it until they are too old to do anything. I wish you luck in your job hunting but enjoy the time off to get some of your own projects worked on.

Jacqueline said...

Well if you were going to get laid off it sounds like the timing was perfect for you to be available to help your Dad.. enjoy your time while you can and good luck with the job front.

Nancy said...

Sorry about your job situation but how nice to be able to spend time helping your Dad. It's hard to give up your stuff.
Lovely applique' on this quilt..

Pat said...

Good to see you back in blogland though your days must be topsy turvy for now. Nice that you could do a little stitching while being there for Dad too - stitching helps to keep us all grounded in the midst of upheaval.

Take care and hoping a good employment fit comes your way!

Nifty Quilts said...

So...time for new opportunities, huh? Sending positive thoughts your way for a great new job. Sounds like you're getting time to spend doing other important things for awhile. xo

Mimi said...

Oh Sharon...sorry to hear about the job situation. I can totally understand as things here have been up in the air for over a year now here on my end. Nothing like hanging by a thread. Hope you can find something soon, but in the meantime you have lots to keep you busy ,so enjoy.

Janet said...

You have tons on your plate at the moment, especially at your Dad's. good luck for the job hunting. Meanwhile your turning out some fantastic appliqué, that's got to be great therapy.

Kimme said...

Sharon, so sorry to hear about your job situation. How great you spent some time with your dad though, and those blocks you got done are just fabulous. Appliqué is such good therapy.

Lori said...

I'm so happy you could spend time with your pops:)

Love that pomegranate quilt!!

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

You are a good daughter! I have tried to do the same and it can be hard on them for sure. Love your handwork blocks...very pretty! I'm sorry to hear about your job...maybe quilting can become your full time job? There are many in the area who do this and keep very busy! It's something to think about anyway!!