Friday, May 31, 2013

The Pie Maker

Monday was pie baking day.  It was a toss up, did I want lemon pie or rhubarb pie? Such tough questions while visiting Dad.  I went with rhubarb, as it's fresh and growing in abundance in my Dad's garden. Plus you can't beat a fresh fruit pie.  No longer is the crust made from scratch in this house, but it's pretty darn good out of the box.
Dad sliced and diced a big bowl of fresh picked rhubarb and we were in business.
Carefully he crimped the edges all around, then got out his cook book and verified the cooking time.
Voila, a beautiful fresh pie.  We've eaten this pie every day since Monday.  Dad had surgery on his hand on Tuesday in the early evening.......
....and we have been here every day, twice a day, for about 2 - 3 hours each time, since the next morning.  Somehow, within 18 hours of surgery, he got a raging infection that ran up his arm to his elbow. We rushed down to emergency on Wed morning and were there by 11 a.m.    He's been on IV antibiotics at 7 am and 7 pm daily and we don't see this ending for several more days.
It's a good thing we had pie all week..........
Sharon

9 comments:

regan said...

How on earth did you make that beautiful pie last so long??? They must have been slivers! :o) Hope your Dad heals quickly!

Jacqueline said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your Dad. The pie looked great!

Louise said...

Nothing like fruit pie...yum...i like your Dad without even meeting him. Reminds me of mine, after he retired Mom was still working and all too often when I called him he would tell me he was making an apple pie for the gardeners!
Sure do miss him....

Janet O. said...

Oh, I love pie making. Wish I could come play!
So sorry about your Dad's hand. Hope things start improving soon!

Me and My Stitches said...

Love the pic of your dad working on that pie! So sorry about the infection - hope he is better soon!

Nancy said...

Good looking Pie.
These infections after surgery are scary things now.
You would think the hospitals could do better.

Mimi said...

We were in Amish country today and had full intentions of having rhubarb pie after our big dinner, but were so full we didn't do it. Now I wish I had after hearing about your pie. I sure hope things turn around quickly for your dad. Those darn infections after surgery are scary. I'll be thinking of you and him.

Barb said...

:(
sorry to hear about the infection, hope it is better soon!
the pie looks yummy!

Sharon said...

Beautiful pie! Fresh fruit pie is sooo good!

Sorry to hear about your Dad's post-surgery infection. :( I hope it clears up soon and that he's doing well. Good luck to both of you.