Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Using Downtime Wisely

aka......quilting your butt off when you loose your job!

Here are a few more quilts that I've got finished. Here is Norma's Liberated Stars. I taught Norma how to make these stars last summer when we all got together in The Dalles, OR for a few days of quilting and visiting. She took the 30 minute lesson and really ran with it.
I told her I would like her to will this one to me, I LOVE it. She did such a great job and I'm happy that she is keeping this one for herself.


Here is a great quilt Muriel made with jelly rolls, this pattern was on the cover of AP& Q a few years ago.  It calls for a 60 degree ruler, but it's easy to make with your regular 6 x 12 ruler.


It is fun to make, the piecing is a lot of what I call 'production work' and the fun comes when you start putting it up on the design wall.  The piecing is the same as a One Block Wonder.

Look how cute this row quilt is.  It came about because when M went to purchase a kit and some of the fabrics were sold out and she had to improvise. I think this is the cutest darn quilt and it just needed some texture.
Popcorn is the name of the panto, it's an oldie but a goodie for a quilt like this.

When I think about the time off I've enjoyed, I sometimes think the time has just rolled by.  I do know it's been a lesson in retirement and I'm going to have to plan or at a minimum, have a  bit of a schedule.  The days can just slide into the next and all of a sudden, the week is winding down. In retirement, I'll have to make sure I have set tee times on the local golf course so I can remember what day of the week it is.

Sharon

4 comments:

liz said...

Seems like you really don't know the meaning of the word retirement. You've kept yourself very busy. Both the quilts are eye candy.

Mimi said...

Wow, those are some great quilts and I love the quilting. I am practicing away here. I had my beginners class for the APQS longarm this past weekend and I am raring to go now. Can't wait to get as good as you. enjoy your time off. oh....you already are!!!

Pat said...

The stars quilt is really super - I like the play of color and the way your eyes move across the different sizes of stars. The quilting on all these quilts really enhancing the piecing. Great job!

Retirement is deceiving - we have never been so busy since the "R" word became our life. It is hard to maintain a routine sometimes. Although I question if women ever truly "retire" !! :o)

Library Gal Quilts said...

Love these quilts! I am thinking of retirement seriously now. I could leave in one month or 6. I haven't figured it out. A bit worried about what will become of me and how to do daily things when work has dominated since I 1977. Identity crisis I think too...better get a long arm!