Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wreath Appliques

It's time for a new start so I've started on my Sacagawia sampler by Minick and Simpson.  I haven't seen this around blogland, so I thought I'd share my journey.  I'm doing this with my friend Louise and joining us is another blogger, Sue from Simple Piece-ful 
Louise and I started with the running red horses, and in no time, this block was done.


Since I'm showing horses, here is the update on Dad's horse.  Digi has worked this week and the trainer called Dad on Saturday and said that this race did not phase her in the least, he has worked her several times and she just wants to run.  If she stays healthy, her next race will be in mid July.  There are a few more races that she qualifies for over the summer, but it will all be based on her health.  We won't run her if she is not 100%.  We don't believe in that.....ok, onto quilting news.

I needed something to work on while at Dads this week, so I prepped the wreath block.  I've never done an applique of this design and it's always been a little intimidating to me.  This, and the Princess Feather pattern, always seemed to be above my pay grade.  My biggest concern was doing the applique and having the wreath fabric migrate in a circular motion and then not lay flat when I got to the end.
We all know there are many ways to tackle your applique, and on this one I decided to use the back basting method.  I drew the wreath onto my background fabric, 20 x 20, and then overlayed a FQ of the wreath fabric.  I did the back basting with bright yellow YLI hand quilting thread. You can see in this picture above, on the bottom left that the thread is blue.  That's where I've started the applique.


After the backbasting was done, I trimmed all around the outside and inside of the wreath.

Now this block is totally portable, I don't have any pins holding anything down, and I took this to the hospital while my Dad has his surgery on Tuesday.  He was having work done on his hand, and hopefully this doctor can fix the damage that happened from the surgery he had on this hand last year.  We are positive and optimistic all will go well.
Spending the week with Dad is like being at a fancy B&B, except it's the dinners that are amazing.  My dad loves to cook and we have a week of meals all planned out.  Roast chicken, roast pork, enchilada's, fresh salads and veggies and there is even a fresh rhubrarb pie on the agenda.  Yummmmm. 

Life is good!
Sharon

8 comments:

antique quilter said...

LOVE the new look of your blog! the horses are great can't wait to see this wreath block.
wow, wish I had a B and B to go too
need a week of meals like that :)
LOL
Kathie
hope Dads hand is much better with this latest surgery...sending good thoughts

Aunt 'Reen said...

Beautiful applique' work Sharon!I'm excited to follow your progress on this quilt. It's one I've admired for quite some time.

Hope Dad's surgery was a success and he heals quickly!
Enjoy your visit with him.

Karen said...

Every time I see the Minnick and Simpson quilt design, my eyes are drawn to the horses.

Lori said...

Love the horse block!!
Good for you for trying the back basting. So far I haven't been tempted to give it a try. Have fun with your dad!!

Janet O. said...

Gorgeous horses! And that wreath is beautiful. I've never tried this method--who am I kidding--I've hardly tried any methods! : )
Okay, my mouth is watering--does Dad have another spare room?

Louise said...

Your horse block looks great. I have the wreath done but not the extras on the block. I just may take you up on your offer of a back basting lesson when you return. Sounds like a week together was good medicine for you and your Dad!
Good for Digi, sounds like that horse has a promising future.

Barb said...

wonderful horses and wreath!
your menu sounds amazing - have a great visit.

electricdunce said...

Beautiful horses, and the wreath as well. What fun to see...