Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Wash Day

Here is my PSA for the month of May!


I'm a prewasher; I'm not wanting to debate this issue, it's a personal choice and it's your quilt. However, even as a diligent prewasher, there have been quilts made early on and prewashing might not have been part of my repertoire.  Plus there are those pesky reds that continue to bleed, even the slightest amount, after they have been washed a couple of times.

Not to fear, modern technology is at our fingertips and in our laundry room.


Grab a few of these babies and throw them in with your quilt, close the lid, say a prayer, and walk away.  When you return, this is what those white sheets will now look like.


Then the next step is to see how much red bled into the creams on your red, cream and blue quilt with the cream backing.  It's hard to tell when it's all wet, so toss it in the dryer for 5 - 8 minutes to take the bulk of the moisture out of your quilt, then spread it out on a floor, or in my case, the spare bed, and let it dry.

Shiny, bright, and cream.  No pinks at all.  Now it's all ready for the cat to get back on it and snuggle up,
and if you are really concerned, pin a few onto areas of your quilt where there is red fabrics, (if possible) and throw in the whole box, this is definitely one of those "more is better" situations!
Sharon

8 comments:

Nicole said...

I love those color catchers and use the all the time. I even give one to someone I when I gift a quilt to them!

Lori said...

Love the color catchers too! Washed or not prewashed.....

Janet O. said...

My mantra is "Don't wash a quilt without a color catcher!". And as Lori said, whether you prewash or not!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Thanks for the information on color catchers! After seeing your "after" shots of them - I will never wash a quilt again without these!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I am also a religious pre-washer. ;) Color catchers are wonderful, I have even heard you can lay them over top of a color run to remove the color. I'm also a big fan of Tide bleach pens!!

Nancy said...

I am a great fan of color catchers and just love the little bit about the cat.

Jan said...

Before I knew about Color Catchers, I would prewash with Retayne. That involved hot water, and really was kinda scary to work with. Plus, I think taking out the surface, or excess dye, was wearing on the fabric. Either way, Color Catchers are the best!

Pat said...

You have offered hope and encouragement! Since I foolishly did not some of the reds used in my Cherry Tree quilt &?it will definitely need a gentle bath when the quilting is done. Thanks so much for the report!!