Saturday, May 15, 2010

I Wasn't Very Interested......

Meet Anita Luvera Mayer, a clothing designer. Not quite! Anita was the guest speaker at our guild meeting last week and the presentation was about garments. That ship sailed a long time ago for me, so even though it's 20+ miles to guild, I jumped in my car as I had to return my Christmas blocks that were due. After a bit of socializing, we stayed for the presentation. Might as well, we said, we're here already.
What a presentation. I'm so glad I didn't miss this one. Anita was an excellent speaker, very well organized and prepared. And she knocked our socks off with her work. I don't have many pictures, but note that everything is done by hand.
She uses a variety of fabrics, threads, beads and embellishments. She wears her garments, she stated "I want to look on the outside how I feel on the inside". A very profound statement.
Many of the silks have been dyed by her. Anita teaches and learns all around the globe. It would be exhausting keeping up with this 72 year old ball of energy. One place where she teaches is John C Campbell Folk School. This garment pictured above and below was woven and the strips of fabric you see on the front were worked in when she did the weaving. Look at the edge treatment. Even though these aren't quilts, she incorporates a lot of quilting ideas and designs into her garments.
Notice the Baptist Fan design she has hand quilted on this garment. Click on the photos for a closer look at her work.
Anita has been a student of City and Guild when it was being offered in the NW. She journals all her creative ideas and processes. She stated her priorities in life are herself first, her creativity second and her family third. Without putting the first two in front of her family, she said she wouldn't be any good to them.
She shared a lot of "lifes lessons" with our group. And to think I wasn't very interested in her presentation! I'm so glad I showed up.
Sharon

4 comments:

Mimi said...

I am glad you went, too, so that you could share it with us. Thank you. Her things are beautiful!

Daniƫlle said...

Just amazing, thanks you so much for sharing this story!! have a nice day, Daniƫlle

Melissa ;-) said...

I not only envy her talent, but also her ability to forgo the fashion of the day and be who she wants to be!

Sharon said...

I got to see Anita when she spoke at my guild last year, and I had the same reaction. She knocked my socks off! What an amazing woman, and what beauty she creates. I'm so glad you stayed to hear her presentation!