Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Making Headway

I'm working on a BOM. It's impossible to get into "production mode" while working on all the different blocks. I have figured out a way to be more productive. Last night I cut several blocks.
Using batting as a base, I laid out each block with all its pieces cut and organized.
When I get home, I can open up my "book of blocks" and start piecing. No wasted time figuring out what block I'm on or how the block is put together.
Last night I got five blocks all cut out. It's a bit tedious as each block has a variety of fabrics and there might be 2 or 3 of the same color, just a different print and size. First to figure out which fabric is cut into what sizes.
I'm thankful I'm not sewing the blocks together tonight.  Look at the block below.  Seriously, it has 73 pieces in it and the finished size is 9".  Are you kidding me?  And then look at the instructions below. Yup, that's it for directions.

Seriously, look at the pattern and the lack of directions.  This pattern writer in not on my top ten list.  In fact, she's on my Do Not Buy list.  Just look at the picture below.  There is not one 1/2 sq triangle in this whole quilt that is put together using two squares with seams sewn on the diagonal.  Every 1/2 and 1/4 sq is precut and then put together on the bias, even the ones that finish out at 1".  Same with the flying geese, nope, we will cut all triangles and sew them together.  Her measurements leave not a thread of extra room.  This is not a pattern for the beginner, it definitely has its challenges.
I also got some cutting done for my Sisters Choice.  Bonnie Hunter's pattern,  2.5" squares and 2.5' x 6.5" strips. I'll sew the dark squares on the diagonal and make these sashing pieces into star points.  My kind of pattern. No bias edges to put together, room for fugding.
I got a few threads stitched into my Lib Amish last night, my goal is to have the last column of feathers done by bedtime Thursday  Wednesday.  I have to study Thursday for my exam on Friday.
Sharon

1 comment:

Lori said...

I like your idea for keeping the blocks organized and ready to sew.
I love Lori S quilts but maybe she and we should stick to her applique patterns! LOL
Good luck on the upcoming quiz!