Sunday, April 17, 2011

Using it Up

I gave my friend 3 bolts of fabric.  She gave me back tops. I made the backs and binding.  Now I only have a few yards of striped fabric left.  What a great feeling to use up for a cause.  Deb pieced 4 tops and bound one, Dani quilted one, and we now have 5 finished tops to donate.
3 will be donated to help those in Japan, and 2 will go to Basics in NYC
I know the call was for utility quilts, but I still have to sew the binding by hand.  Don't you love stripes on the bias?  This was a lot of binding for one week!  It's a good thing it's Stanley Cup time, the Canadians and the Canucks are in the hunt for the cup this year.  I get a lot of hand work done at this time of year.
This project took time, but many hands got dragged into it involved.  It's a great feeling to be 30+ yards lighter in my sewing room.  Do you have some fabric that can go to a cause?  Time is the biggest gift, so share the project around, it's a great feeling.
Sharon

2 comments:

Lori said...

That is fantastic! And no matter who a quilt is being made for I always hand sew the binding down:) I still havent found a better way of doing it.

Tonya Ricucci said...

wow, you guys did fantastic! the binding is wonderful on the diagonal like that.