Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Washed and Cuddly

Finally, here is my Gathered Over Time (GOT) finished quilt. Yes, it's now officially a quilt. It's washed and dried and so warm and cozy.
This top was from an online swap. Whatever shirting you used in your 9 patch you could not use for the setting square swap. And you needed to use another shirting for the corner triangles.
I never could have made this quilt on my own. There are 81 9 patches with no duplicates. To have that many choices in one stash, well, that would be more than I could imagine.
Some of the details. The blocks are 4 1/2" set on point, I used Hobbs Wool and I hand quilted this with YLI #004 Rust. I chose to use a bit darker thread so it would show up a bit on all the shirtings. The Baptist Fan pattern was marked, I used my acrylic circle templates that I have for my longarm, and marked the whole top with blue washout. I did 2 rows of fans around all four sides, and then I worked in to the center from 2 sides. The fans "crash" in the center. This gives the piece a look from the past, like it was quilted from all four sides around a frame.
This is going to be my quilt that I use on my couch. I love it. It's cozy and cuddly and I enjoyed every stitch on this, and many hands worked on it for me.
Give a swap a try, you just might like it.
Sharon

12 comments:

antique quilter said...

it is just beautiful
I hope one day I will have a quilt like this too!
and yes baptist fans was the perfect choice for hand quilting it!
enjoy it! and thanks for sharing it with us
Kathie

Barb said...

Oooh, I love your nine patch quilt. This is my favorite kind of setting, on light with light setting squares.
Your fan quilting is perfect!

Lori said...

It is absolutely wonderful!!! Perfect and aged- the best kind of new quilts:)

Browndirtcottage said...

OH...OH...WOW...I L-O-V-E this Sharon!! Everything about it speaks to me!!! I sooo love the scrappy shirtings and your quilting is right on perfection! You truly captured that vintage look and feel!!

Brandie said...

Wow! I wish I was in a swap like that. do they still exist? I've tried to start exchanges and I only have had a couple of people sing up.
This quilt is fan-static! What a memory

Linda said...

Gorgeous!!! Love it!! Quilting design is so perfect!! You did such a wonderful job. Wow, and marking it all before!!

Mimi said...

Oh Sharon, that is so pretty and comfy looking. It looks like the type of quilt that will be loved for a very long time. Good for you in getting it done and on the couch.

liz said...

Such a classic quilt. No wonder you love it - it's lovable.

paulette said...

S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G!!!! Absolutely gorgeous!
paulette

Amy said...

Your version turned out great. Mine is all pieced, but I haven't quilted it yet. (still waiting for inspiration to hit me) You can see mine at http://goo.gl/d4Idp.

Ann Champion said...

I LOVE how this quilt turned out. Your choice for the quilting is perfect!

I'm happy to see you working on your liberated Amish quilt again too. That's one of my favorites. :)

Rose Marie said...

Oh lovely!!! Your hand quilting is wonderful and the Baptist Fan perfect for this quilt! Beautiful!