Saturday, May 9, 2009

Leftovers become fine dining.

So let's get back to quilting here. I've had this top from Norma for a while now, and the push is on to get all my customer quilts back to them before I go for my surgery. I was thinking I had several weeks, but not so, I'm scheduled in for May 14th. This top was "thrown together" by my friend Norma, who does amazing work. When I needed samples for my longarm classes, she was my go to piecer. Her love of foundation paper piecing shows up in any time she includes this technique in her quilting.
Here are her left overs, along with some additional blocks she felt would compliment the center of this top. She told me this quilt will live in a cabinet, folded up with her others. I say, NO WAY, this baby needs to be hanging on a wall!

Just a few more shots of this, I loved quilting it, the colors are so vibrant against the pale yellows and creams.
Terrific design decisions were made for this top, I love how your eye just travels out to the corners and then you just keep looking around for more! Great job Norma!

On the reading front, here are a few of my new favorite books. I am overwhelmed with quilting books full of patterns, if I lived to be 837 I wouldn't make 1/2 of what is roaming around in my head. The last few quilt books I've purchased are not books of patterns, but of stories. I have no specific passion about quilts from Virginia, but is you love applique these two books are a must have, the photos and historical quilts are simply amazing.
Last, but not least, this book was a Christmas gift from my gal pal Paula. I have read the story of Aurora and how these pioneers helped for SW WA and parts of OR. Jane Kirkpatrick is a wonderful author based in Sherman County, OR. I lived in this county for a few years and had the privilege of meeting Jane. Her books are mostly fact based fiction, and her characters are strong women. Check out her site for more information on her books and writings, she was in Paducah, KY in April.
Take time to sew today!
Sharon

No comments: