The blocks for this quilt were pieced during my quarantine in Sept 2020 The pattern for this house block is from the October 2020 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting. My initial idea was to make all the blocks in different colors, and after making a test block in blue, my fabric pull quickly turned into a stack of gorgeous browns and creams.
Some things got a little mixed up in the construction of the blocks and it seemed that I either didn't catch it, or didn't think it was worthy of a seam ripper.
When the siding went on the materials got a bit mixed up as well. Being all browns, I guess it was a bit much to keep all the prints separated. Or becausse I was in quarantine and some things seemed to have lost their importance.
Years ago I saw a house pattern with stars as the setting post. I've had a photo kick around my studio for years, the houses were black and white, and the stars were red. It was very striking. My first house quilt had no corner posts and here was my chance to put the stars in the sashing. And yet, I ended up with a 9 patch. It would have been faster to strip piece these blocks, but they wouldn't have the scrappy charm that you get when you sew one square at a time.
Here is the pattern from the APQ issue. Stars and scrappy houses and all, and yet, my top ended up brown. With a blue house on the corner. My first house was a blue house on the corner. So when I put the top together, I kept that test block and added a little touch of blue in the 9 patches.
The top is complete, I've done my scant 1/8" stay stitch all around the perimeter. That stay stitching will keep the edges from stretching out, AND it will keep my seams from popping open when it gets loaded and stretched on the longarm frame.