Saturday, November 5, 2011

11-1-11

I will remember this day for the rest of my life.  Something very special happened to me on this day, something that most of you had happen when you were born and you don't remember it at all.  This is the day I became a U.S. Citizen.  There were 91 other people from 35 countries all bursting with pride and excitement right along side me.
I thought I was just going for yet another interview in the process that started back in 2004 when I got married.  There were roadblocks along the way, an application for permanent residency was denied 3 weeks after my husband passed away and it took 3 months to get someone to believe that yes, I was married but now, legally, I'm not.  With support of friends and family, Yeah sister Christine, who put together my appeals package, I got my PR card in the spring of 2008. 

Tuesday I drove to Seattle thinking it would be my second last trip, but after meeting with the immigration officer, and seeing him stamp my file "approved", I asked him "so what's next?"  He handed me a slip of paper, told me to be back in an hour and attend the ceremony and I'd be done.  It was a whirlwind day.  I wish I'd known, I didn't even bring a camera or a friend to take my picture.  So thanks to Camille, a fellow Canadain who was sitting beside me, I got one photo of the day.

Now to file all the adjustments to all my other documents ........

Sharon

18 comments:

Sujata Shah said...

Congratulations!
I remember the day when I became the citizen. Good that you have a picture to remember this day by. Not that you will ever forget :0
By the way, you look beautiful!

Mimi said...

Congratuations to you!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Congratulations! I'm surprised they didn't let you know in advance what was happening.

Karen said...

Such an interesting story. Congratulations!

Louise said...

I was thinking of you on Tuesday Sharon. Your happy outcome made me a bit weepy..out of happiness for you! Welcome, officially..hugs

Janet O. said...

Congratulations, Sharon!! So glad someone was able to get a photo for you. Do you have dual citizenship now?

Deere Driver said...

Congratulations from another naturalized citizen!

Lori said...

Oh my gosh! How exciting!! It would have been nice to have a bit of forewarning, but it is what it is.
CONGRATULATIONS US citizen!!

Library Gal Quilts said...

So happy for you Sharon! Yay! God Bless America and you! xo Pam

Anonymous said...

I'm delighted for you!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Happy day and congratulations. I just hope you keep your wonderful Canadian "accent", I just love it!

JSB said...

Yay! So happy for you Sharon.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sharon. You must be very proud. (You look proud! nice photo)

bjmccomber said...

Congratulations and am so very glad your body is healing. My friend did not know she would be taking a civics test when she became a citizen but passed with flying colors. And my grandson was born here on 11/1. Welcome.

Joan said...

Sharon - Huge congratulations. What a truly wonderful thing for you. So proud for you :)

Pat said...

Sharon - a warm congratulations!
Thank you for sharing your journey to this special day.

My husband is also a naturalized citizen - he was born in Australia.

Sharon said...

Whoo hoo!! I know you've been waiting for this day for a long time. I'm so glad it finally got here. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

Jan said...

Congratulations, Sharon! Your beautiful beaming face says it all. I'm happy to be able to call you a fellow citizen...I got chills reading your post!