Thursday, June 6, 2013

Gwen Marston * Lopez Island* Day 1

The trip to Lopez Island started at the ferry terminal in Anacortes, what a gorgeous view!
Here is a map of the San Juan Islands and the ferry routes.
I saw this posted outside the coffee shop around the corner from my room.

Day #1.  T. had a jump start on her center as she had started this at a previous Gwen workshop. Don't you LOVE the diamond border?  The photo doesn't do it justice.  She is sitting right behind me so I'm trying to channel some of her creativity!

N. has been working on this one for awhile.  Today the baskets got finished and tomorrow they will get sewn together and added to the center.  What a gorgeous combination going on here......

N has her daughter C. here, she is the youngest of the group.  How dynamic is this? I'm blown away with her choices and I teased her about hand quilting.  Her reply was "absolutely".  How refreshing to see the next generation engage this craft and go with it.  She is learning from one of the best this week!


C. was tucked in the corner, quietly stitching away.  WOW! Wait until you see her other parts and pieces that is going into this quilt, it's going to be amazing.  Look at those diamonds, her piecing is so precise.


I had a jump start on my center, the strings were all done and the 1/2 sq's were in a "parts" box.  Now if only I could sew them with the right orientation?? I have my seam ripper and several strips of piecing that need to be unpieced tonight.
Here is my messy work station, I've spread myself from end to end at my table.  What a joy to be surrounded by so many talented and creative quilters!

Somehow I missed a photo of Nifty Quilts work in progress.  I will make sure that I share her piece with you tomorrow.  If you haven't guessed, the workshop is Liberated Medallions.  Some people came with centers already done, others spend hours cutting and pondering and piecing.  I'm sure the creativity will be in abundance tomorrow.  I will leave you with my view.

Sharon

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Looks like the views are great whether outdoors or in! : )

Library Gal Quilts said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing. I can just feel the good vibes!!

Lori said...

Fantastic first day!!

Louise said...

Sharon I know you are going to have a wonderful weekend.
See you soon I hope. Sounds like lots of creativity in that room but with Gwen leading it is no wonder!

Barb said...

have fun! what a great place for a gwen workshop!!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Im blown away by all the amazing quilts you've shown us!! The setting on the island is beautiful too.