Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Doll Quilt Reveal

As soon as Lori from Humble Quilts emailed the name of my recipient, I knew exactly what pattern I was going to be inspired by. Note I didn't say "make". This is from a Jo Morton Vintage Quilts book and I've loved this pattern from the first time I saw it.  I used the photo as my inspiration, and made choices round by round.  I couldn't decide on a border so I used two different fabrics.

(disregard the funky lines coming out from this photo, I took the photo on a tile floor)
My label does have listed who it was made for.  I just don't want to give it away until she received it in the mail.  Then it will be a surprise!
I hand quilted this with rust thread, my "go to" color for vintage quilts.  I love how it looks.  Instead of stitching in the ditch, I eye balled the center of each round.  Here is the back and you can see the center has an X stitched; for some reason it just wasn't enough so that one seam got SID.
Rounds of stitching, I just love how tactile a hand quilted item becomes.  There is nothing like a hand quilted piece. 

I loved this pattern so much I started to make one for myself. Once I got into the larger rounds and more decisions, I decided to only focus on my swap version. My version is very similar in color, just a few different prints.

Working on a piece that you know is going to another quilter is so different than making something for a non quilter. I think, as a quilter, we appreciate the piece just a tiny bit more!  I hit the deadline, just need to write a short note, and get to the post office.

Sharon

9 comments:

Diane said...

It is lovely! Isn't this doll quilt swap fun? Thanks for sharing yours!

Heartsdesire said...

Your little doll quilt is looking very sweet. Love all the reds.

Louise said...

Love doing these small "doll" quilts. Lucky recipient.

Janet O. said...

Some quilter will be very lucky to receive this.
Lovely little quilt, Sharon!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Absolutely darling doll quilt!
I'm sure the recipient is going to love it!

Lori said...

I love it and know the recipient will love it too!

Kyle said...

Someone is really going to love this. What a fun exchange.

Barb said...

whoever receives it will be lucky indeed! great little quilt and bonus - hand quilted

Brandie said...

It's beautiful! She will love it!