Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Last Quilt

I know you all know this isn't the last quilt I will make. It is the last family quilt that I have left to do. My nephew has patiently waited, has never asked when his quilt will be done, and to be honest, he's a guy and has probably no memory or idea that I would be making him his own quilt. But it's almost done.

The only decision I let any of them make was color. Seriously, letting a non quilter pick out a pattern for their own quilt would be painful on it's own, but imagine if they picked a Cathedral Windows, or Double Wedding Ring, or, or, or.... You get my point. I love this pattern, Blooming Pineapples from Bonnie Hunter. I've made it a lot. It's the pattern on my bed, I've done table runners, it's been gifted to my friend, to my other nephew,  it's just a perfect block to use up fabrics in one color and it's a block you can pick up and work on without twisting your brain on how it goes together. And you get bonus 1/2 sq. triangles. This is what I now have,   240 + blocks  all trimmed up to 2 1/2".


And I have this; a stack of 64 finished blocks, all ready for the design wall. The great thing about this pattern is the lay out options.

I could do this, all the cream marching in one direction.


Or this, I love the 4 cream triangles coming together for a scrappy square.


Or I could set the blocks on pint and find a print for setting triangles, or used cream scrappy triangles.


Or a zig zag setting.  This one might look better with more blocks up on the wall. Squint :)


But for now, this is all in a box, waiting to go on retreat with me.  My goal is not to finish any one top, but to use the huge design wall for the layouts, pin my rows in stacks and mark them all for assembly back in my studio. 

And I even have a starter kit for the next green/cream mock pineapple quilt. 


Do you have a "go to" pattern when you are making quilts that will possibly end up on a camping trip?

Keep stitching,
Sharon

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I of course love the zig zag layout but they are all nice. I can see why you have made that one more than once.

Janet O. said...

I have never seen all of the layout options displayed for this block. Really fun possibilities!
The Primitive Gatherings Picnic Quilt has been a "go to" for me when I think a quilt may be handled without kid gloves. : )

Mimi said...

I would have a hard time choosing which layout I liked best. #2 and #3 are probably on my list since I love stars and they look a little star-ish to me. what a great Aunt you are. As for my go to block....not sure I have ever repeated anything other than in a baby quilt. I like trying new things all the time. Can't wait to see what you choose for your nephew's quilt.

Lori said...

I don't, but I like what you have going!! Have a blast on your retreat!!

Linda O said...

Love seeing the different setting options! Although I haven't made this pattern, it's a great one. Happy retreating!

Marie said...

Great blocks. My choice would be the second layout.

giraffe said...

Fun to see the different layouts! My choice would be 2 or 3. 4 gets a little over whelming! Enjoyed your blog!

This is my first time following a blogger, so I really don't know how to leave a comment. LOL