Friday, August 10, 2018

Sujata Inspired Customer Quilt

M.E. is the proud creator and owner of this quilt. I want to feature it in this blog post because it is a piece that may spark some inspiration in other quilters. When I quilted it, I kept picking out colors and prints and wanted to stop quilting and get to my string basket and start sewing! That is one small downside of being a longarm quilter. So many customer pieces inspire and yet, we continue to quilt for others. I admit, this past week I've been quilting small pieces and have been happy to get to my sewing machine for some personal sewing.
But on to M's quilt.


It was created using a process outlined in Sujata Shah's book Cultural Fusion  If you don't have this book and you love color and an organic feel to your work, click the link, buy her book and savor the photos.  It's worth every penny, and she will even autograph it for you.


M likes lots of quilting on her work and if you click on the photos, you can see that she chose a variegated  multi colored thread.  All the line work was done freehand to play off the gentle curves and waves of her string piecing.  The polka dots and striped borders play off the colors in the piecing.  Curly feathers that were not "fussy" added a bit of whimsy to the line work.


The print fabric has a fantastic bird print with lots of great colors.  The birds are flying in all directions and the pinwheel setting gives motion to the piece.

Curves, strings, wavy quilt lines, a mixed bag of color and prints.

This quilt can be defined by this, taken from Wikipedia

"In philosophy, systems theory, science, and art, emergence occurs when "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts," meaning the whole has properties its parts do not have. These properties come about because of interactions among the parts."

I know, you want to run your hands over this to feel the texture.  I love that I get to visit this quilt when I visit my friend! She has kept this one for herself.


Keep stitching!
Sharon

2 comments:

Janet O. said...

Yes, I want to run my hands over that texture. Great quilt!
I have always used that definition for "synergy", which might be what I would name this quilt if it was mine.

Mimi said...

With all those rich colors, it looks somewhat Asisan. Love your quilting on it.