Thursday, October 21, 2010

This is Why I Quilt!

I quilt because I need to. When my friend Betsy started her journey on walking 60 miles in 3 days, I started putting together this quilt. 600 chances were in the box. I pulled Becky T's name. Betsy delivered the quilt this morning and took a few pictures. We raised $1200 for the Susan G. Koman foundation with this quilt.
Here is Becky T. She has kidney cancer. The doctor gave her 2 years and it’s been 8. She says she has too much to do to leave just yet! Her granddaughter has a rare kidney disease, totally unrelated to Becky’s situation and has required a transplant. Her son-in-law has lymphoma and leukemia. She recently lost her mother as well.
This is Karma at it's best!
Sharon

6 comments:

Linda C said...

Sharon,
l just love the quilt you made. Well done, and a fantastic effort with your fundraising. Congrats to Becky on her win, and best wishes for future health!!

John'aLee said...

Awww kudos to the both of you. Fabulous quilt. Can't help but love it....it's pink!! The way you laid it out is beautiful.

Mimi said...

Beautiful quilt; beautiful Betsy, beautiful Becky; and beautiful you.

goldengirl said...

What an amazing story. How fantastic for Becky to have won this quilt
and how truly a wonderful person you are Sharon. You as well a cancer survivor. Job well done.

liz said...

That is a great story. A very good reason to quilt, I think. Well done to everyone involved and good health to you all.

Ann Champion said...

What a beautiful quilt and such a generous donation.
I think Becky should change her name to lucky Becky? Good for her for being such a fighter! I'm sure she's going to enjoy wrapping up in her special quilt?

It will be a wonderful day when a "cure" or vaccine is found to get rid of cancer.