Saturday, December 4, 2021

Shortbread Cookies

 This post is a copy and paste from several years ago.  I thought maybe since there are a lot of new IG followers, some might make their way over to grab this recipe.  It's the big day, the first weekend of December, and that means my cookie production begins.  It sounds a lot more arduous that it really is, and that's because I now only make this recipe, over and over and over again.  Why mess with a good thing.  And here is a few quilty photos since this is a quilting blog (or it pretends to be)




 

Change isn't Alway a Good Thing

There were a few emails asking for my shortbread cookie recipe so I'm sharing it here today. I know I said it came on the cornstarch box. We never had this recipe written down because it was always on the box. Then they changed the box. I called several people and had them check their cupboards for an old box. What relief when Joann had one in her kitchen. Then I wrote down the recipe. They don't even put cornstarch in a box now. It's in a plastic tub. But that's another whole issue. Here is a recipe that you need to write down, or copy and paste.
1/2 C corn starch
1/2 C icing sugar (powdered)
1 C flour
3/4 C butter
Sift dry ingredients. Mix in softened butter with a pastry cutter. Continue mixing with a spoon and do the final mix with your hands.
Roll into 1" balls, flatten with a floured fork on ungreased pan. Bake 300 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes (edges slightly golden)
Makes 3 dozen cookies
Cool on a rack and enjoy! For a more festive display you can add a little piece of green or red candied cherry on top before baking or drizzle with chocolate after they cool.
Store in a sealed tin.
Sharon

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Oh, I remember having these as a child, but hadn't thought of them since. They are gluten free and I can't wait to try them again.

Yvonne said...

Beautiful quilts.
Shortbread is something we don't know here in Holland. I need to try and make it some day.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have been making these for years now since you first had the recipe on your blog. I have gone to mixing with the KitchenAid mixer and the results seem to be the same. My oldest great-grandson who is almost 8 now absolutely loves these. I would mail a package to them when he was 2 and his mom said he would just start shaking with anticipation until she got the container opened. He could see through the box that they were his favorites from his great-grandma.